question

rinnerthogendorp avatar image
rinnerthogendorp asked

How to reduce operating noise of my MP 2 5000's?

I am about to install 3 MP 2 5000's in a new built shed. I know from experience so far that only one MP2 can make quite some noise when operating in high gear. Let alone three of them!! To avoid arguments with my neighbours, I am thinking of applying noise reduction measurements. For instance constructing a noise-free- cabin for each inverter. Does anyone have any experience on that? How does this relate to ventilation requirements and all?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

I have had good results sound-proofing a motor-generator set by enclosing it in a chipboard enclosure lined with fibreglass loft insulation. You would need to provide staggered ventilation cutouts arranged so there is no line-of-sight from the Multis to the outside.

Also important in a shed is to avoid vibration being transmitted to its cladding. Build a separate structure inside to support them independently off floor slabs or a concrete base. Put anti-vibration mat behind the Multis. Other ideas in this thread.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rinnerthogendorp avatar image rinnerthogendorp commented ·

sharpener, you mentioned "You would need to provide staggered ventilation cutouts arranged so there is no line-of-sight from the Multis to the outside...." do you have a drawing of that of from your whole enclosure box?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Victron have a noise reduction upgrade. It's already fitted to newer units. You need to check with your dealer for your units

1 comment
2 |3000

sharpener avatar image sharpener commented ·
That will improve the radiated fan noise but the OP may still want to reduce the conducted noise from transformer hum, for example.
1 Like 1 ·
rinnerthogendorp avatar image
rinnerthogendorp answered ·

I have already requested the retrofit fix for my multiplus II 5000, and the two new ones will probably have been improved already. As far as the results from other user-stories, I still think I will need to take extra measures.... Thanks for all the good advise so far. What still puzzles me is how to achieve the combination of enough ventilation on one hand and almost total sound absorption on the other hand...

1 comment
2 |3000

sharpener avatar image sharpener commented ·

You would need to have ventilation openings top and bottom with the same total cross-sectional area as the inlets and outlets on all the Multis. As upthread you need to have staggered baffles so that sound radiated from the Multis strikes an absorbing surface rather than propagating out of the enclosure. Like a light trap arrangement. Sorry I have no drawing, it was over 30 years ago. But it worked well, the people in the office next door could not tell if the motor-generator set was running or not.

BTW from other posts it is important to have the same hardware build standard for all 3 Multis in a 3-phase config, I do not know if the fan noise mod makes a difference to this.

1 Like 1 ·