question

tom-botha avatar image
tom-botha asked

multiplus 24v 1600va switch off /on with no warning or alarm

off-on.png

Hi all,

After replacing my GEL hybrid E-Guard batteries that only lasted 5 months with a Hubble AM4, my inverter inexplicably switches off and then on again. The lights flicker rapidly, as observed on the graph with a one-minute sampling rate. This issue occurs randomly, with intervals ranging from 9 to 36 hours. It never occurred during the 5 months when I was using the gel batteries.

The battery is not connected to a CAN bus system, as I utilise a Raspberry Pi for monitoring and a smart shunt for the state of charge (SOC).

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening now?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
off-on.png (26.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Look at the battery voltage/current diagram at that moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-botha avatar image tom-botha Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the problem lies with the battery. If you zoom in on the VRM recording with a 1-minute sampling rate, I believe that with a fast recorder, you will see the battery voltage dropping to zero. However, I'm wondering why the inverter restarts and what the solution could be. What if I modify the repeated absorption time and absorption time settings in such a way that the charger remains in the absorption mode? The battery label states that the equalized and float voltage should both be 29V.

I am already well over my budget and I do not want to spend another cent on the system.

off-on-inv.png

0 Likes 0 ·
off-on-inv.png (50.3 KiB)
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It is most likely a battery/BMS issue.

You can get CAN connectivity on a PI, which would allow the battery to manage the system properly, something that is helpful for the PACE BMS they use which has been known to be temperamental.

VRM will not capture transients, grafana is better for this, so it is not always possible to visualise what is actually going on.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tom-botha avatar image tom-botha commented ·

Hi Nickdb,

Thank you for the reply. I am not familiar with Grafana. Do you install it on the Pi, and how do you connect the signals you want to monitor?

Hubble claims that connecting their CAN-bus to a third-party device will void the warranty. That is why I do not want to connect it via a CAN HAT.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom-botha avatar image
tom-botha answered ·

I send the battery back still waiting for my refund after 15% admin charge. Fed-up for the blame shifting between to different makes, try to sell everything then it will be Sunsynk Inverter with a Sunsynk battery,

Thanks all for try helping me.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic