question

svrochelle avatar image
svrochelle asked

24v/12v Negative Isolation with Skylla-TG Charger

My boat has two separate battery banks: a 24 volt house bank and 12 volt starter battery with isolated Negatives. I've recently installed a Skylla-TG 24v 100 Amp charger for the house bank. If I connect the 12v starter battery to the second output, will this create a bridge between the negatives and defeat my isolation?

SV Rochelle

Skylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The second output should be 24v also, so connecting a 12v battery to this would not be good.

Yes this would also defeat the isolation.

you could use an isolated 24/12v converter to doe the job.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

svrochelle avatar image
svrochelle answered ·

Mike,

Thanks for your response. I should have been more clear in my question. The Skylla-TG's second output is 12v for this purpose but irrespective of that, I think your answer is correct. The Skylla bridges the negative on the output side. I've come to the same conclusion; use an isolated 24/12v DC - DC charger. I wish I knew this before I purchased the Skylla.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic