question

pmikep avatar image
pmikep asked

Ozone from Multiplus (Or SmartSolars?)

I have operated a Multiplus I and some SmartSolar MPPT's for a couple of years now, usually powering a 200 W load 24/7 from solar and batteries. Now I am using them harder, and they power a 900 W load occasionally throughout the day.

About two weeks ago I started smelling ozone from the equipment. (I was runninng this higher load before this time and never noticed the smell of ozone.)

I don't know which box the ozone is coming from. Ozone is usually associated with high voltage and arcing. I don't know which box makes high voltage.

Please, what could be causing this? Dangerous? What to do?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@pmikep

Get the infrared camera and look trough it.

Arcing generates high temperature you will see it on the camera.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmikep avatar image pmikep commented ·

Thanks. Good idea. I don't have a thermal camera. But I do have an IR thermometer. (Plus that sensitive part of my front lip.)

The good news is that the ozone smell is gone for now. I'm thinking it was an extension cord that has an intermittent connection at its end.

0 Likes 0 ·