question

invisiblecities3 avatar image
invisiblecities3 asked

MultiPlus 2000 - "Charger" LED blinks, then shuts off, no output

New MultiPlus 2000 12v. Worked a treat until I added Smart BatteryProtect and VE.Bus Smart Dongle.

Now it does not charge or invert. When I power it up, the "Charger" LED blinks rapidly for about ½ second, then goes out, then a few seconds later repeats.

Today's troubleshooting will involve simplifying everything, removing variables, until I can get it back working. Certain I did something wrong adding those additional bits of Victron kit, looking for guidance on where to look. What does that Charger LED rapid blink then go out mean? Can't find any mention of it.

Note: please pardon tagging Multiplus-II, there's no plain old Multiplus tag available

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
How/where did you add the battery protect?
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
invisiblecities3 answered ·

Closing the loop: user error terminating the RJ45 cable end.

Turns out the tester I used above was crap.

Bought a good tester, immediately identified my error, re-terminated correctly, all works as expected.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Battery protect is between house bank and house loads. MultiPlus positive is direct to the house bank, independent (I think) of the battery protect.

2 |3000

Progress. Unplugging the VE.Bus Cat6 UTP cable from the MultiPlus to the smart dongle gets everything back charging and inverting. Looks like either I screwed up terminating the Cat6 cable (quite possible, I’ll test), or something else that I can’t figure out yet.

2 |3000

jbroo avatar image
jbroo answered ·

I'm curious what the rapid single flash of the orange "charge" LED means. I have not found reference to it anywhere online. Clearly yours was also stuck in some mysterious mode. Alas I have nothing left to unplug from the device.

I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed given the reputation of Victron... I expected better documentation, and just not to be stuck with a dead unit over such a trivial "error".

2 comments
2 |3000

invisiblecities3 avatar image invisiblecities3 commented ·
Victron’s documentation leaves just a little bit to be desired.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image mvas invisiblecities3 commented ·
You are being very kind !
0 Likes 0 ·

OK, my terminations test out as OK for 568B.

Now I’m curious why when I plug in the smart dongle with a tested 568B straight thru Cat6 cable, it causes the MultiPlus to shut down.

I wonder if there’s another *undocumented feature* config change on the MultiPlus that I’m missing.

I’ll ping Victron support on Monday.

2 |3000

mattsnow avatar image
mattsnow answered ·

Hi, just wanted to add I have the exact same issues on two of these units now. I have nothing else connected apart from the 12V leads so don't know how to troubleshoot this any further.

Did you ever get any official answer on this "orange LED flash"?

My thread:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/219545/no-output-from-multiplus-and-only-a-brief-flickeri.html

2 |3000