question

fc-marine avatar image
fc-marine asked

Inverter hum after using GHD straighteners. Multiplus II 12/3000/120.

Hello all..

I've just finished a job on a Narrowboat installing a Multiplus II 12/3000/120 with Victron lithium.

My customers tried using GHD hair straightners and were shocked by the noise from the inverter. I told them not to worry and that this was a characteristic of this type of load and they're now getting the cordless version instead.

Since that they now notice more of a hum from the inverter while using moderate loads - before it was really quiet with hardly any noise noticeable. Normally I would put it down to heightened perception but in this case I don't think it is and my customers are really switched on.

Is this possible and has anyone experienced this before? And is it a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Ed

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi ed there were some noise improvements in some of the latter fw versions, So maybe make sure they are on the latest 502 fw

xxxx496

April 19, 2022

• Reduced audible noise in some 12V 3K Multi models.
  • Reacts a bit slower to DC overvoltage.
    Reason for this change is that some BMS systems disconnect the battery during charge (when a high cell voltage is detected). This resulted in DC overshoot which in its turn resulted in a switch off. By making the reaction time on DC overvoltage a bit longer most systems will continue to operate under this condition.
  • Minor improvement on fan driver.
    (Under certain specific conditions the fan did not start even if the average current indicated that it should. This is a minor improvement since it did not impose a real problem because the fan could still start based on internal temperature sensor.)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fc-marine avatar image fc-marine commented ·
Hi Paul. That's interesting - I think my customer did an update so possibly the change in noise relates to this and not after trying the straighteners. Thanks, Ed
0 Likes 0 ·