question

rory-gilchrist avatar image
rory-gilchrist asked

MPPT not powering on with battery plugged in

Hi,

I have a SmartSolar 75/15 which doesn’t seem to be working.

I’ve followed the correct setup procedure, however when the battery is plugged in no lights come on.

When measuring voltage of the battery & circuit before plugging in, I get 12.08V (low but around 12% charge) however when connecting the controller to the circuit, this drops to 1.12V and the controller does not power on. The 1.12V is measured at the screws and the battery terminal.

When connected to solar, it doesn’t seem to recognise the battery as it pushes 0A and reads out whatever Absorption voltage is set in the battery settings.

My setup is:

• 100Ah lithium battery (Ecoworthy)
  • 150A fuse on positive battery terminal (50mm2 cable)
  • Positive bus bar (50mm2 cable from fuse to bus bar)
  • 50A Fuse between charge controller and bus bar (6mm2)
  • Negative bus bar with 50mm2 connection from battery & 6mm2 from charge controller.

I also have 2x100w panels which output 41V (I’ve tested it and it shows up in the controller)

Given the correct voltage reading on the circuit before plugging it the charge controller I would assume there is a problem with the device itself. I have checked the fuse and it looks fine. Additionally the load screws show 0 volts with the battery plugged in.

I read some talk of reversed polarity, I’ve double, triple checked and this is not and never has been the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve spent hours trying to debug!

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

does your battery power a light? some other small load?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Is that a new MPPT or an older one which used to work?

I have checked the fuse and it looks fine.

This is the MPPT fuse (20A, car-type/blade fuse)?

Did you visualy checked it, or with a multimeter?

50A Fuse between charge controller and bus bar (6mm2)

That 50A fuse will not protect a 6mm2 wire.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Charge the battery to 13.2v. Then test it with a 12 volt load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.