question

leo1234 avatar image
leo1234 asked

Communication protocol for Quattro 48/3000

Communication protocol for Quattro 48/3000

Good morning to all, reviewing the documentation of the Quattro 48/3000/35 it is not clear to me what communication protocol it uses and how it can be implemented with third party applications.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerknowledge base
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @leo1234,

The Quattro uses a VE.Bus communications protocol, this is proprietary to Victron.

It has 3 main functions,

1 - to connect to a computer via the MK3-USB adapter for programming in VictronConnect and VE.Configure

2 - to connect to other Quattros for parallel and 3 phase syncronisation

3 - to communicate to our GX products (specifically the Cerbo GX) - which can then interface with Modbus TCP, MQTT, NMEA2000, and many many more.

For third party application integration, it is almost certain you will need a Cerbo GX device as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leo1234 avatar image
leo1234 answered ·

Good morning

I understand what you are saying, but in the Victron documentation, it says that the Quatttro can communicate via CAN protocol, I would like to know a little more about how they implement this protocol.

4 comments
2 |3000

That section might be due for an update - I am presuming it is referring to this now-depreciated adapter - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.can:ve.bus_to_ve.can_interface_manual

That has been replaced with the GX as the control and translation hub.

0 Likes 0 ·
leo1234 avatar image leo1234 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

No, that's not what I mean.

In the document "Data communication with Victrom Energy products" there is a section that says "Protocol details" in this section VE.Can/NMEA2000 describes that the CANbus protocol is the one used for third parties, I would like to know how is this implementation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ leo1234 commented ·

It is implemented with a GX device acting as a translation bridge between the VE.Bus interface on the Quattro, and the VE.Can/NMEA2000 protocol on the GX

Further info depends on the type of integration - for example

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.can:nmea-2000:start

0 Likes 0 ·
leo1234 avatar image leo1234 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Good morning

Reviewing the Quattro documentation I find that the device has the possibility to communicate by CAN and J1939 protocol.

Could you please clarify this issue, thank you

0 Likes 0 ·