question

paul-campbell avatar image
paul-campbell asked

Understanding multi-plus load ratings.

Multiplus 24/800/16-16

The rating, which I understand is in VA and reported as "S" in Vebus is 800VA.

However. I have read datasheets before and I believe that 800VA is a thermal limit. 400VA is it's non-conditional rating.

I'm working from memory, but it might be 1200VA instantenous peak if the internal temp is under 60*C. 800VA rating is if the internal temperature is under 45*C. the 400VA is the continous rating without a qualifying temp.

Is this correct?

If I was loading the inverter, at say, 600VA. The internal temp will slowly rise, the fan will come on and depending on ambient temperature it will reach 45*C internal temperature.

My understanding is at this point the Multiplus will "de-rate" itself down to 400VA.

My question is what behaviour will this manifest as. Will the inverter "trip out" and return the multiplus to "OFF" status or will it fail back to pass-thru or disable AC_In_Ignore?

What I am trying to balance, is making use of that top end 400VA when it's available (temperature dependant), but I do not want an inverter reset to drop me into darkness.

I have started with the AC Grid fallback load of 400W, but I want to increase that to 600W. If, however, that will result in complete trip-outs and low of AC_Out completely, then it's a bit useless and I'm stuck at 400W.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
paul-campbell avatar image
paul-campbell answered ·

I checked the manual. My figures above are off a bit but close enough.

~700W at 25*C

~600W at 45*C

~400W at 60*C

The two questions are then:

Does the inverter "trip" and cut the AC_Out completely if it derates while inverting a higher load than the derated VA? Say if it's inverting 650W and derates at 45*C? Will the multiplus transfer switch drop back to grid in this situation?

Are these temperatures "internal" or "ambient"? If it's internal, where do I measure that temp? If it's ambient, I assume we are referring to the intake air? Or is it the ambient "case temp" inside the unit?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic