question

gswannell avatar image
gswannell asked

Updated MPPT 100/50 firmware and software today and both units stopped working

I have 2 solar banks connected to boat house batteries with 2 MPPT 100/50 controllers. The system has worked well for over 5 years. Today I updated the firmware and software through the bluetooth connection to my iphone. Both controllers now no longer work. Firmware v2.41 Bootloader v1.16. There is 20V coming in from PV and system voltage is about 13.2V. Bulk blue led flashes but no charge happening. Both units have remote ve.direct non-inverting remote on/off switch. The solar panels are working fine as I have hotwired them temporarily to the batteries and monitor them.

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@GSwannell Bulk blue led flashes but no charge happening. Normally this indicates that the mppt is waiting for solar array to get up to power (for charging).

Both units have remote ve.direct non-inverting remote on/off switch. Probably worth temporarily disconnecting those to check charge enable/disable.

The solar panels are working fine as I have hotwired them temporarily to the batteries and monitor them. You wired your panels directly to the batteries? That will work in a tight spot, but be aware that as the batt voltage goes up, the array current will increase. Extreme chance of battery damage.

Post some screenshots of your mppts detailed history. Also of the rx/tx port settings.

And check the “off reason” on the main page in VictronConnect: as long as the charger hasn’t started charging, it will tell you why it didnt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gswannell avatar image
gswannell answered ·

Thanks very much for the quick answer to my problem. All fixed now but I will tell the story. I am at anchor in my sailing boat so rely on solar. I have FWD solar panels 860W and AFT panels 360W going into separate MPPT 100/50 controllers. It appears a few days ago the remote on/off switch power wire pulled out, but the FWD panels on/off plug was for some reason already disconnected so the FWD panels kept charging. I then upgraded the software on the BMV712 and the MPPT controllers and both panels would then not charge even though I could measure PV voltage of 20V. Last night I noticed the Victron app on my iphone was not up to date and after updating to v5.90 the MPPT software updated to Firmware v1.61 Bluetooth Rev2 Firmware v2.44 and Bootloader v1.16.

So this morning once the sun was shining I connected all up without the remote on/off plugged in and all worked fine. I then discovered the problem with the power lead to the remote on/off devices, so that is all now fixed as well.

You put me on the right track disconnecting the remote on/off. Thanks very much.

Out of interest the history screen grabs are attached from yesterday. I understand some of the risks hot wiring solar direct to battery and was monitoring it. I have 600aH LiFe batteries and often see 50 amps of solar going in, so yesterday I was not too concerned at 15 amps hot wired going in at battery voltage of 13.2V.

Thanks again for your help.

AFT panels history1.PNGaft-panels-history2.pngfwd-panels-history.png

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic