question

simon-milnes avatar image
simon-milnes asked

BMV-600s current reading ‘I’ increasing when monitor light goes off.

BMV-600s current reading ‘I’ increasing when monitor light goes off. The reading ‘I’ when the monitor light is on shows -0.27amps, but as soon as the light goes out the reading increases to -0.42amps. The batteries (new 2 X 180Ah Varta) are on float charge from a Victron Atlas Combi 12/1500. The only current being drawn is from a fridge and bilge alarm.

Also, the SOC when not on shore power decreases as expected during general battery use in the evening (lights, water pump, electric toilet, TV etc), but overnight goes back to 100%.

The voltage does decrease with use as expected.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It seems to me that there is a bad connection somewhere.
How long has the BMV been installed? In older installations condensation and dirt can affect the connections.

Please check the connections on the shunt including the smaller screws which attach the PCB to the shunt resistor. It could also be poor connections with the RJ12 connection.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simon-milnes avatar image simon-milnes commented ·

Thank you for your diagnosis. Yes, the unit has been installed for a number of years, so I'll clean and reconnect the items you suggest.

0 Likes 0 ·