question

kukla avatar image
kukla asked

multi 12/2500/120 not turning on?

Switching over to lithium. I have phoenix multi that was installed previously but has been in indoor storage for 8 years.

Installed wiring on the 12V side. temp wired the Victron. Fuses are all good. Connected to battery (charged to 13V). 120 VAC in connected.

Nothing happens. Toggled the switch both ways. Nothing.

No LEDs anywhere are lit.

No obvious damage anywhere.

Seems there should be some test points on the board.

I don't want to purchase new if this can be put into service.

It appears there is no 5v on the board. Anyone know the source of the 5v?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @kukla,

Once you have confirmed there is 12v at the terminals with a multimeter, the next thing is to check that the remote switch wire loop is in place;

img-5235.jpeg

img-5235.jpeg (1.9 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kukla avatar image
kukla answered ·

img20230515111252.jpg

Jumper is in place. My motherboard. One generation back I suppose

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @kukla,

The serial number for that product indicates that it is 22 years old, manufactured on the 22nd week of 2001.

I hate to say it, because it looks like its in excellent physical condition, but it might be time to get a new inverter charger.

I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but it would not be possible to get spare parts at this point even if a specific fault was identified.

2 |3000

kukla avatar image
kukla answered ·

Like I said I am converting to lithium and adding solar. At some point I would likely get a new Multi+. Not going to take any long trips on old critical system. It's a learning experience I appreciate. This unit has been in protected storage for a long time. This is on 40' sailboat which will be my retirement home in the near future.

2 |3000

kukla avatar image
kukla answered ·

OK, the beast is alive and charging.

Charger was originally on flooded cells and I now have Lithium.

I need to set the charge profile to custom. From what i can find the profile is simpler with Lithium.

The batteries are two 12V 300 Ah. It appears there are some parameters not needed for Lithium.

They are not Victron Batteries.

Any suggestion on the profile?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic