question

christiaanh avatar image
christiaanh asked

Possible interference - Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator

Hi all.

I would like to know if Victron Quattro inverters and/or MPPT's could possible interfere with an Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator.

"An implantable cardioverter-defibrillator or automated implantable cardioverter defibrillator is a device implantable inside the body, able to perform defibrillation, and depending on the type, cardioversion and pacing of the heart. Wikipedia"

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eric-tarkleson avatar image
eric-tarkleson answered ·

Any electronic device emits electromagnetic radiation/Fields (EMF) and also can be susceptible to outside sources of EMF. This is why there are rules, regulations and testing that devices sold must pass. EMC, CE and other regulations are there to verify the relative safety of these sorts of things.
Also understand that these fields quickly decay away from the source. So I would not advise taking a nap on top of an MPPT but otherwise I personally wouldn't worry about coming near an active MPPT or inverter for a short period of time.
However, Don't take my advice! I may not know what I am talking about. I would contact the manufacturer of the auto-defib device and ask them if they are aware of any specific situations with solar power electronics that could cause problems.
Maybe you can expand your question? Do you have one of these devices and are interested in installing your own solar system? Are you planning on having a verified installer installing a system? This may impact the answer and others could probably provide better advice.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christiaanh avatar image
christiaanh answered ·

Thank you for your reply @Eric Tarkleson . As soon as I posted this question, the client got confirmation from the cardioverter-defribrillator that none of the Victron equipment should interfere with the device, provided one limits prolonged contact.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@ChristiaanH

People love their Victrons but I dont think they hug them before going to bed.

Proximity is the key.

The workshop guys I know who have theirs have a minimum distance around the welding stations that they are not supposed to enter. the same would apply to the inverters, particularly the ones with the transformer base.

The one older gent can feel when it gets messed with.

1 Like 1 ·
christiaanh avatar image christiaanh Alexandra ♦ commented ·
LOL, you have no idea how much some people love their Victrons.

Point taken, thanks for your response.

0 Likes 0 ·