question

cedarm avatar image
cedarm asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120 overheating, but why?

Hello, I have a Multiplus I 12/3000/120 (230/50hz) that overheats when I'm making water. In the first month I owned the Multiplus, I could make water indefinitely. Now I can only go for 20 minutes before the Multiplus shuts down because of overheat. Nothing changed with the installation. The ambient temperature if anything is cooler. It is a heavy load, but not so high I would expect it to overheat. I suspected a fan problem, and that is still a posibility, but I hear the fan and feel a good current of warm air coming from the top of the machine. There is a clicking noise, but only with the watermaker, not with the aircon. Is there more than one fan in this unit? Could one have failed, but the other continues to function. When I run our aircon, there is a similar load, but no overheat. Maybe the watermaker has a poorer power factor? Even so, that wouldn't explain why it used to work, and now struggles.

I feel like I would like a warranty exchange since it used to work for me and now doesn't, but I fear Victron will tell me it works "well enough" since this problem only comes up when loaded up. I'm currently on my boat in a remote place, so don't have access to a dealer for a while.

Is there a way to test the cooling system? Replace fans?

img-3844.jpeg

img-3843.jpeg

img-3842.jpeg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
img-3844.jpeg (1.7 MiB)
img-3843.jpeg (2.8 MiB)
img-3842.jpeg (2.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Does it need a clean out, remove covers and vacuum dust and fluff or blow it clean just like you occasionally have to open up a PC and clean the dust out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cedarm avatar image
cedarm answered ·

Thanks for the idea, but it is clean. I took cover off and inspected it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic