question

cvd avatar image
cvd asked

Victron Energy Orion-TR 24|12-20 DC-DC Converter as start battery charger

I am connecting a Victron Energy Orion-TR 24|12-20 DC-DC Converter to my Multiplus 24/3000 trickle charger spade outlet to charge my 12 volt starter battery. I am planning to use relay 2 as a switch to turn the converter on and off. Is there anything I should be aware of or avoid in making this connection?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@cvd Why not connect it to the 24v house battery that the MultiPlus is connected too? The trickle charge output will only deliver something like 4A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cvd avatar image
cvd answered ·

I have connected the MultiPlus to the 24 volt battery bank (670 amp hrs of lithium). I am also trying to also charge my start battery using the trickle charger but its output is 24 volts. The start battery 12 volts, thus the DC to DC 24/12 converter. The converter has a low voltage switch which I intend to operate using the Cerbo relay #2. I am just trying to make sure there are no issues with this trickle charging setup.

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@cvd just connect the Orion TR Smart to the 24v battery bank. If the battery is charged then the Orion TR will raw very little. The Orion TR is a battery charger, using a DC input, therefore connecting it to a trickle charger is not sensible. If you want to ensure that the Orion TR Smart is only on when the MultiPlus is connected to the mains. Then use one of the relays on the MultiPlus and an assistant to close when connected to mains, and feed the output into the Orion TR Smart remote switch. That way the unit will only be on if the MultiPlus has a mains supply.

2 |3000

cvd avatar image
cvd answered ·

Curious why it is "not sensible". I understand your recommendation to simply connect to the battery bank but why won't this work as well. I don't need but a few "trickle" amps to keep the starter battery charged. I have already connected the Orion DC-DC converter to relay 2 on my Cerbo so I have the ability to turn on/off. Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

2 |3000