question

timnight01 avatar image
timnight01 asked

100/50 MPPT now showing battery temperature after update, but showing -18!

As stated above. I was sure it never showed battery temp before but now it does, and says its -18 which is obviously way out (actually about 12 degrees Celsius)

Anyone have any ideas? I read in the manual the MPPT has a built in temp sensor, perhaps its faulty? I have it connected to a smart shunt via smart network but I haven't added any external temp sensors.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

make sure that under battery temperature compensation and battery temp limits are disabled, I cant see any tempature display on my unit, could you send some screen shots

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @TimNight01

The mppt does have it's own internal temp sensor, but that figure isn't published. It's only used once a day at startup (in the absence of an external sensor), and after that it isn't used.

The -18 figure may be coming from the Smartshunt. In there, check that the Aux function isn't set to Temperature, rather than Off or one of the other 2 options. If Temp is selected without a probe (or a faulty probe), then this might happen.

Might be a bug too, but we'd need more detail to report it as such.

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

I also had this "bug" showing -18°C on my 150/70 on 28.Jan.2023. After I disconnected the solar and the battery, the MPPT had never this problem again.

But this was the second temperature issue I observed with the MPPT. In December last year I had even seen -273°C and the same behaviour.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual