question

northtown2022 avatar image
northtown2022 asked

Mysterious Increased AC load while charging

I'm still searching for answers as to why the AC load increases when Quattro 48/5000/70 charger kicks in from the mains. PV input seems to have no effect. @snoobler

The ~165W draw you see are four test loads to help me commission:

~45W - Starlink

~75W - Incandescent light bulb

~45W - Freezers x2 (compressors kick in and out randomly)

ac-input-vs-output.jpg

hi-ac-draw-dashboard.jpgCharging from the mainslow-ac-draw-dashboard.jpgDischarging only

inverter current draw
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 commented ·

I checked in with my dealer today but they haven't heard anything back from Victron.

It seems data related. Are any of you Victron Guru's up for a challenge? Hit me up please!

1 Like 1 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
I think I already asked, but I don't remember the answer... do you have anything connected to AC Out 2?
0 Likes 0 ·
northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 snoobler commented ·

This is what you mean right? Nothing connected.

20230425-203729.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler northtown2022 commented ·
Yep. Default behavior is for anything on AC Out 2 to get powered if there's AC input power, so that could account for an increase in AC loads... but there ain't nothing there...

1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @NorthTown2022

It can be quite difficult to get a power balance right over a combined ac/dc system, given standby and conversion inefficiencies, etc. I think the ACout wears a bit of this, but I'm not certain.

What you may find useful is to enable the 'Has DC System' in the GX, even though you mightn't have a DC load. This is a calculated by-difference figure and usually gets allocated the anomalous gains/losses. This will jump around a lot because of different sampling times of the various source figures, but you may well be able to quantify it a bit, and perhaps understand what's happening.

It will add a tile to the Dashboard, and has a Widget too.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 commented ·

@JohnC

As soon as I get time I will activate this feature and report findings. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
northtown2022 avatar image northtown2022 northtown2022 commented ·

I have activated DC Power loads in VRM and it does show a bit of a dump there. I do not have any DC loads at this point in time.

AC out continues to rise proportionally to input current from the mains with DC Power load displayed in VRM.

I have noticed that the DC power loads also rose a little when input current from the mains kicked in, it seems proportionate to the AC loads.

1682638340627.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1682638340627.png (253.2 KiB)
snoobler avatar image snoobler northtown2022 commented ·

And to make it a little more clear, your actual loads are better represented by the red line:

1682645289217.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1682645289217.png (247.6 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic