question

Bryan Buttigieg avatar image
Bryan Buttigieg asked

BMV712- How to do a zero current calibration

Need help on how to do Zero Current Calibration on my set up:

Manual says that to do a zero current calibration "ensure there really is no current flowing in or out of the battery" and "disconnect the cable between the load and the shunt, then press 'select"'

What do they mean by "the cable between the load and the shunt"? and is that really enough to ensure "zero current flowing in or out of the battery" in the case of my set up?

I have two batteries. One negative cable (the one being fully monitored, call it the "main" battery) goes to the "bottom" of the shunt and the other battery (the one with the voltage only being monitored) goes to the "top" of the shunt. Then a "common" cable goes off the top to the common ground.

I also have solar positive and negative leads going from my solar charge controller directly to the main battery

Finally, I have bilge pump, gasoline fume detector, Victron MTTP 100/15 charge controller and Blue Seas ACR all with positive leads connected to the main battery before the battery selector switch and with their negatives going to the same common ground as the BMV 712

So in order to do a zero current calibration and "ensure there really is no current flowing in or out of the battery" would I

1. Disconnect the solar source (disconnect at solar panel end)

2. Disconnect the "common" negative feed off the "top" of the shunt.

AND

Do I also need to disconnect the charge controller, ACR and fume detector in order to accomplish the zero current calibration?

thanks!

BMV Battery Monitorsolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi.

for a proper operation, each and every load and charger should be connected to your BMV "load and charger" terminal and not to the battery negative.

Loads and solar chargers etc. not connected to the BMV cannot be recognized for proper measurement and so the battery state of charge can never be accurate.

To make a zero current calibration disconnect the loads and charger from the BMV so no current is able to flow through the BMV's shunt but leave the battery connected to the shunt.

Regards,

Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bryan Buttigieg avatar image Bryan Buttigieg commented ·

Thanks Markus!

0 Likes 0 ·
stefancs avatar image
stefancs answered ·

Hi,

is it necessary to disconnect the shunt from load as suggested by the manual or can I instead disconnect the battery from loads/chargers via a main switch on the bat plus side?

The manual says "Ensure that there really is no current flowing into or out of the battery (disconnect the cable between the load and the shunt), then press SELECT."

Thanks and regards!

Stefan

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Either way. Just ensure "no current".

0 Likes 0 ·
stefancs avatar image stefancs JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thanks John!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic