question

thekock avatar image
thekock asked

SmartSolar MPPT 20/100 single solar sizing options for overlanding.

Busy with a DIY overland build on my 1993 Hilux and have opted for the Victron range of products. I've bought a SmartSolar 20/100 and as space on the canopy is an issue I'm limited in terms of the Solar Panels I can use. I have found a 300W panel that will fit with the following specs:

Voc = 43.5V, Isc = 8.35A, Imp = 8.0A

Is this an adequate size panel for the 20/100?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The 100 in the model name is Max input voltage, so plenty of headroom.

But you need to match panel, MPPT and batteries to demand. If your battery is 12V, then you won't get the panel max power. But this is usually acceptable to cope with poor weather.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thekock avatar image thekock commented ·
I'm based in South Africa so we have high yield weather here for PV applications. From what I've read the panel voltage should be at least 20v over the system voltage to get ideal charging conditions on the MPPT, and yes the 100v input max gives me lots of headroom. At Voc 43.5V - 20V = 23.5V it is nicely over the system max of 14.4V. I'm just hoping the 300W is suitable for the 20amp charge rate. Can the unit be damaged if the panel is making its full 300W?
0 Likes 0 ·