question

dmkjr avatar image
dmkjr asked

100/30 Only pulling 35 watts

Good evening. i have a MPPT 100/30 controller installed on my 5th wheel camper with a SmartShunt. It's the Solar Flex 400i package from Keystone.

I have added a Cerbo GX and I'm trying to utilize the system, replacing the stock inverter with an Ampvint 3000w inverter which allows me to run it in Battery Priority mode.

However, I think something may be wired wrong, or I don't completely understand the grounding requirements perhaps. The MPPT is not drawing much solar energy at all. I'm seeing 32-35 watts continuous from the controller, even when it was in Bulk mode. Voltage from is showing as 35.15v with 0.9-1a producing 35 watts. They are two 200 watt rated Future Solutions solar panels. It was sunny today, direct sunlight. Panels are wired in parallel.

I'm going to post some pretty bad pictures. I haven't cleaned up the wiring yet.

img-5207.png

img-5214.png

img-5209.jpeg

Any ideas on what could be going on?

MPPT Controllers
img-5214.png (467.2 KiB)
img-5207.png (356.7 KiB)
img-5209.jpeg (3.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Guessing. Looks as if the Cerbo doesn't see the non-Victron components properly. And the MPPT is set to lower charging voltage than the non-Victron side.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dmkjr avatar image dmkjr commented ·
Could you elaborate a little for me? What setting on the MPPT would keep it at a lower charge?

The inverter negative comes directly out of the shunt. In the photo I have the inverter charging since the batteries were at 46%. Even without the inverter charging the MPPT wasn’t performing.

0 Likes 0 ·
dmkjr avatar image dmkjr commented ·
One more question, should the MPPT battery output run straight to battery, or should negative run through the bus bar before the shunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
dmkjr avatar image
dmkjr answered ·

The negative (battery) from the MPPT goes to the negative of the batteries. The positive runs to the bus bar inside of the black box. The solar runs directly from panels to the MPPT controller. I will be adding a disconnect to the PV once I can get the MPPT correct.

2 |3000