question

storm avatar image
storm asked

what is the advantage of replacing the bmv 712 shunt with a smart shunt

The bmv 712 included a shunt. It seems that the smart shunt removes the bmv 712 and provides all the data via bluetooth. The original shunt does the same thing via bluetooth so I dont see the advantage except the removal of the data cable and of course the monitor unit.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

The smart shunt can be connected via ve.direct to a cerbo which in turn can integrate together with inverter, solar, batteries etc. Just more system wide control and functionality, especially for larger systems with more components. The gx device also adds vrm capability for remote monitoring and system logging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 answered ·

I have both. The BMV-712 has excellent Bluetooth range while the Smart Shunt has very, very limited range. The Smart Shunt is less expensive, but the lesser cost comes with significantly less Bluetooth range as well as no builtin display. My guess is Victron designed the Smart Shunt to be used hardwired to a Cerbo or other GX device and its Bluetooth isn't intended for use other than when standing right in front of it setting it up.

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

The BMV 712 has a buzzer and a relay, that the Smart Shunt lacks.

Useful features for some people / systems.

2 |3000