question

power-from-the-son avatar image
power-from-the-son asked

Panel wiring question

How would you wire the panels to maximize??

I've mounted these on the rv but unsure best way to utilize what I've got.

6 320w Renogy 40.1 voc 10.36a ioc 6 12v Redodo 200ah plus wired in a 24v.

i have two combiner boxes 4string and a 6 string available

I already have 8awg from roof to the Victron 150/70 controller, and 10awg to the 150/35 Victron.

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Power from the Son given you already have the cable run, 10g can handle 20a, and 8g can handle 30a.

If you wire up 4 panels on the 150-70 as 2 series x 2 parallel, current down to the mppt would be 19.6a, safe for the 8g cable. Voltage drop will be .76v for a 20ft cable run.

If you wire up 2 panels on the 150-35 as 2 series, current down to the mppt would be 9.8a, safe for the 10g cable. Voltage drop will be .39v for a 20ft cable run.

renogy-array.png

At temperatures of -15c, a 2 series array will go up to 90Voc, so safe for a 150v controller.

renogy-array.png (112.2 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

power-from-the-son avatar image power-from-the-son commented ·

Someone else commented to run the 3 series twice using 2 of the four string combiner box to the 150/70 or three strings of two in series and leave the 150/35 for future add ons. Your thoughts? I do still have plenty of roof space. 37ft Coachman Freedom Liberty Express

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ power-from-the-son commented ·
@Power from the Son Sure 3 series x 2 parallel will work fine.

Same current for the 8g cable to handle.

Voltage goes up to 135Voc @ -15c, so that is still within the mppt's 150v input limit.

Output current from the mppt is fine also @ about 66a max.

0 Likes 0 ·
power-from-the-son avatar image power-from-the-son klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Does using both mppt provide more to replenish the battery bank moreover than running single ? Preferred one way or another? Sure do appreciate the input. Hoping to have it all up and running by the weekend.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ power-from-the-son commented ·
@Power from the Son using 2 mppt's might have an advantage if the is any shading of the roof. Shading is bad.
1 Like 1 ·
power-from-the-son avatar image
power-from-the-son answered ·

Brilliant. And that will make the most of what I have. Thank you for taking the time for me. God bless you and yours, and God bless the U.S.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic