question

nishad avatar image
nishad asked

Venus OS, RPi, Node-Red, VRM instance

Every time Venus OS reboots, updates, or a VE Bus device turn off and on the VRM instance ID changes. This breaks Node-Red node connection for SmartShunt and Multiplus II and causes dashboards to not work as intended. I realize that this is unique to RPi and not Cerbo and related to how USB connections are enumerated.

Has anyone found a workaround to keep VRM instance IDs persistent?

Suggestion for @mvader (Victron Energy) and Victron Energy staff: Please make changes to Victron Nodes to bind instance IDs to serial number of the devices. Is that in the realm of possibility?

Node-REDvrm advanced
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ostwest avatar image
ostwest answered ·

I want to push this thread, as I think it is very very nessecary!!!!

There must be some kind of solution, ether as nishad suggested or maybe to hardcode the instances for the devices assignd right now.

At first I thought, I am the only one who has problems with it, but by reading some forums, there are many who suffer of this "renumeration". This brakes the following systems, like Nodered, Openhab or influyDB.

Please, dear Victroners, do something about it.

Thanks,

Ingo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

becker avatar image
becker answered ·

which version of VenusOS ?

no problems with 3.x

1 comment
2 |3000

ostwest avatar image ostwest commented ·
I'm still on 2.92. But according to other tread with Victron Member, Problem still not solved on 3.xx.

They are aware and working on the problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

I have had this problem with all versions of venus-os, but only on pi3+ . Not on Pi Zero 2 W, Pi2 or pi4

I have also had lots of error messages on all the pi3+ that I control, but not the other pi's. They have now all been replaced with pi4's.

1 comment
2 |3000

ostwest avatar image ostwest commented ·
OKeyyyyy, Where did you get the PI4s. They must be the same price at the moment as a Multiplus ;)
0 Likes 0 ·