question

neil-langford avatar image
neil-langford asked

Quattro II / Multiplus II Mounting Arrangements

I'm keen to use the new Quattro II 5000 24volt version in a current project. Cleary, it is designed to be mounted vertically with the cable outlets at the bottom. This is the same, in principle, as the earlier models. However I would need to mount the unit either :

A / Horizontally, lying on its back with the front panel upwards

or B/ Vertically, but lying on its side, rotated 90 degrees, so the cables exit from either the left hand or right hand end of the installed device.

I have installed earlier versions horizontally, with the front panel upwards, but need to know what I can do with the Type II units.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I have the MultiPlus-II 24/5000 and it is heavy as hell. I would not dare to put it hanging downwards. Even if you use 4 bolts the holes might break out over the time.

Puting it sidewards can cause trouble with the airflow.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

IIRC Victron said that horizontal mounting was fine, but the cooling fans would come on sooner and run faster at medium power levels because there's no convection cooling -- at full power / fan speed the fans do all the work anyway so there shouldn't be any significant power reduction.

Mounting it vertically on its side using the four bolts is no different to mounting it the normal way with four bolts (or the bracket), so long as whatever you mount it on is strong enough (*lots* of stress on the bolts!) it should be OK. Flat on its back should be fine.

I've looked into all this because it looks like I'll end up using 2 Quattro II 48/5000 in parallel, one flat on its back and one on its side exactly as you've described...

(space isn't tall enough for conventional vertical mounting)

2 |3000