question

jhayes avatar image
jhayes asked

Victron SmartShunt and SmartSolar not synching right since firmware upgrade

I upgraded both smartshunt (v4.14) and smart solars (v1.61) a couple of days ago. Post the upgrades, my system isn't working at all. One smart solar says it's using the smart shunt external battery voltage and current. The other smart solar says its using smart shunt external battery voltage only.

Randomly, the smart solar battery voltage will read 15.83v on one and 14.51v on the other but the smart shunt battery voltage is actually 13.13v. Prior to the update, I yielded 590wh using 2x 100 solar panels. Post the upgrade the last two days, 20wh.

I deleted the network and created new ones and joined them 3 times and same results. I left them independent for about an hour and then joined them to a network again and same results. Is there anything else I can try to resolve this issue. I don't know what else to try and would really appreciate any feedback in order to get my system back up and running.

Thanks in advance.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @jhayes

This sounds a lot like a poor connection between the mppts and the battery. A little inconvenient that it's happened at the same time as firmware upgrades, that always helps throw you off the track.

Maybe something similar to what you experienced previously.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/54925/battery-voltage-is-display-float-charge.html?childToView=54955#answer-54955

I wouldn't get too excited about the battery current not showing as networked on one mppt. That may be a master/slave thing, but I'm unfamiliar and guessing. Look to the end-result to see that they both use it (maybe you're using the Tail function in the mppts).

A multimeter sometimes a better tool than screenpics to find out what's really happening.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhayes avatar image jhayes commented ·

Turns out I had a burnt wire Wago connector. I switched it out with a breaker because that's all I have on hand at the moment.1681674211722.png

1 Like 1 ·
1681674211722.png (7.0 MiB)