question

michelg avatar image
michelg asked

Victron Phoenix Multiplus PMP242301011 6000W peak duration

Hi everyone, I am thinking of chaning my current inverter (MPP Solar) to a Multiplus 24/3000 70-50 as I have one issue with a vegetable shredder. It is very difficult to start it, unless the engine is already warm.

It is mentionned that it sucks up to 2500W, but when using it, the average consumption was 300W. I presume the engine needs a peak power availability for 1-2s, and wanted to be sure if the Multiplus will be able to deliver it, in order to start the shredder's engine. As I have read it can handle up to 6000W consumption peaks, but no time frame is given (milliseconds, seconds, or minutes).

Thanks for your time and replies.

MichelG

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi everyone,

Nobody knows how long the Multiplus 3000 can handle an overload ? I have to take a decision regarding my current installation but if I am unable to get a reply, I'll probably pass the Multiplus, and start looking for a Studer inverter.

Thanks.

Michel G

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Typically the peak power of 5500W would be 10 sec, though this does not seem to be documented.

Is your vegetable shredder a petrol engine with an AC starter? Or is it powered by the AC motor?

A large AC motor can take up to 6 or 7 times it's rated power to start on load, so a 2500W motor could take 64A or more to start on load, and this current would decay over the 5 seconds or so during motor run up to speed.

I would look at a minimum of a 6kW inverter to start this motor, as stressing inverter transistors to their limit on a frequent basis would lead to early demise.

2 |3000

michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Mike, it is an AC motor. BTW, I am able to start it with my current hybrid inverter (not always, but if the motor has run a little bit, and its temperature has increased, it always starts).

I know there is a capacitor and usually, the peak time is 0,2s, as far as I have been able to check. It is a tool that I run every 2 years, during a week when shredding the vegetables. It is absolutely not used on a daily basis.

Thanks for your time and help

Kind regards from Spain. MichelG

2 |3000