question

manta avatar image
manta asked

Isolation transformer connecting Multiplus

Could be a dumb question but : I am currently retrofitting a steel boat, there is a 4000VA isolation transformer installed (torroid type with inrush limiter) On secondary side the PE (Ground) is connected to Neutral as it should be according to the transformer manual. (Primary PE is not connected to shore)Directly after the isolation transformer i would like to install a Multiplus II 24/3000/70. Since the Neutral is allready connected to PE. Do i need to put a PE wire into the inlet of the multiplus (which essentialy is the neutral) or can i just put Line and Neutral in the power inlet? Or can i make the PE to N loop at the multiplus terminals? What is the right way to connect the Multiplus? (Answer would be greatly appreciated)

untitled.png

Isolation Tranformer
untitled.png (500.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

YES. the PE connection to the Multi is essential.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

manta avatar image manta commented ·
Thanks, would it be a good idea to make a loop between the N and PE on the victron as a source to connect N to PE or should i do this before the breaker with a separate cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

And a RCD in the input and output of the MP

1 comment
2 |3000

manta avatar image manta commented ·

Because the isolation transformer is next to the multiplus, there is no RCD between the Isolation transformer and multiplus only a 16A breaker. On the output Out1 and Out2 on the multiplus there is a RCD and a group of breakers after the RCD. I think this is sufficient for safe operation. (out 2 is separated with its own RCD-Breaker 16a for the onboard boiler)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic