question

progbes avatar image
progbes asked

Should I adjust adaptive charge?

I have 600AH Lifeline AGMs on my boat. I typically let them get to 12.0 volts before I recharge using my generator. Lifeline recommends charging at 14.4V. I have a Multiplus 2000 and BMV712. It looks like it is setup for the adaptive charge curve and can take hours to get up to 14.4 charge voltage - i.e. many hours using my generator. I would like to recharge as fast as possible (using less generator time and fuel) and given the fact that I am near 50% SOC when I recharge can I (and should I) set my Multiplus to bypass the adaptive charge rate and just set to 14.4 as Lifeline recommends?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Progbes can I (and should I) set my Multiplus to bypass the adaptive charge rate and just set to 14.4 as Lifeline recommends?

You have the option of 3 charge algorithms. Fixed, Adaptive, and Adaptive + Battery Safe.

battery-safe.png

battery-safe-1.png

Unless you are using Adaptive + Battery Safe you will be charging at maximum current as set in the charger tab.

Remember you have to regularly fully charge your battery (through absorption period until float) for long battery life.

battery-safe.png (198.0 KiB)
battery-safe-1.png (130.7 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Progbes

Adding to @klim8skeptic reply

Adaptive charging modifies absorption time depending on depth of discharge.

The fact that it's taking a long time to reach 14.4 volts is either due to the capacity of the charger(s) or the setting mentioned previously.

You might want to consider charging before the voltage drops as low as 12V. And... Towards the end of the charge cycle internal resistance in the batteries limits charge current. It might suit your purposes better to terminate the charge earlier, but charge to 100% once a week.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
Adding to @klim8skeptic reply

Adaptive charging modifies absorption time depending on depth of discharge.

The fact that it's taking a long time to reach 14.4 volts is either due to the capacity of the charger(s) or the setting mentioned previously.

You might want to consider charging before the voltage drops as low as 12V. And... Towards the end of the charge cycle internal resistance in the batteries limits charge current. It might suit your purposes better to terminate the charge earlier, but charge to 100% once a week.

2 |3000