question

ccarlsonnh avatar image
ccarlsonnh asked

Orion-Tr DC-DC Converter Isolated 12/12 18A can't set output voltage

Installed the converter in my travel trailer. Input connected to tow vehicle 7-pin connector and my dvm reading on the input to the converter i 14.2 volts with the vehicle running. Want to adjust the output voltage to 14.4 for my Lithium house batteries. When I connect my Digital voltmeter to the output, however, the reading jumps all around. No steady output voltage reading. No load on the converter, no battery connected to output. Is the unit defective or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@ccarlsonnh if you put a battery on the output I am sure the voltage will stabalise.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ccarlsonnh avatar image ccarlsonnh commented ·
Thanks but the instructions clearly state that battery/load should not be connected until after output voltage is set.
0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird ccarlsonnh commented ·
@ccarlsonnh it sounds like you want the device to charge your lithium house battery. The Orion TR DC-DC is not designed for battery charging. Victron recommend the Victron Smartt version for that.
0 Likes 0 ·
ccarlsonnh avatar image ccarlsonnh Trevor Bird commented ·
Yes, I figured that out after installing! Ordered the smart device. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Adjust the output voltage without running g the engine, then connect your Lithium Battery and start the engine. This SHOULD work.

1 comment
2 |3000

ccarlsonnh avatar image ccarlsonnh commented ·
No input voltage when engine is not running. Thanks. I have ordered the smart version which is what I need for charging.
0 Likes 0 ·