question

dmin avatar image
dmin asked

75/15 settings and amps

d284e7b9-fbff-48ba-904a-718fb04dd645.pngI have a 180w panel installed and connected to the 75/15. Volts at battery is 13/14 but can I ask if amps should be higher than 1, it’s typically about 0.5. Also I have a sealed leisure battery and on the app the nearest thing in the settings is agm spiral and others are gel and deep cycle etc.. last question- is in settings which algorithm should I use as it’s default set to ‘battery life’ any advice would be great.

ff5727fb-2434-4d0c-8556-ca335776ae3a.png

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

Q1. Charge should be able to get higher than 1 Amp but as it seems that you have enabled the load output it makes a difference what loads you have connected and their draw. Just assuming that the voltage from the panel is high enough and that the panel meets the requirements of the MPPT.

How do you measure the charging? Do you know the actual charging?

Try to set load off (Always off) and see what current you get a sunny day.

Q2. When reconnecting the load output again Battery Life would be an OK setting.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @dmin

The AGM Spiral setting is too aggressive for standard sealed batteries. Try the Gel(2), or even the Gel(1). Or create your own, but if you do that, it's usually best to go with the batt maker's figures. And even then go towards the lower end of their recommended range.

4 comments
2 |3000

lofty avatar image lofty commented ·
JohnC, I have Duracell AGM group 31's in parallel on my boat with a 160 W panel and 75 15. I am a bit confused as to the proper setting for the controller. You say the AGM spiral is too aggressive, so if I select gel 1 or 2, would that be all I need to do? And let the balance of the settings remain? I really do not want to create my own, it is above my pay grade for sure! Thanks man.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ lofty commented ·
@Lofty

Yes, that's all you need to do. Look though at the settings that bob up to see if they're ok for the Duracells. If not, you can change them individually. The selection will then show as User Defined, but you can save them then under your own name. (It's easier to do that that making a post here) :)

That said, I'm not a big fan of paralleling Pb batts. They can get out of balance if pushed hard, although your 75/15 isn't high powered. I'd just ease back to the minimum Absorb V that Duracell recommend. You may want to change the Temp Comp setting too if you can find one for your batts.

0 Likes 0 ·
lofty avatar image lofty JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi JonC, I have been having a hard time finding the real tech info on the Duracell Ultra Platinum group 31 AGM. When you say back off on the absorb V what would you recommend? And what you would recommend the temp setting be? I will be looking at this again tomorrow, will be at the boat. Thanks man,
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ lofty commented ·
@Lofty

Maybe 14.2 to 14.3 for Absorb, and 13,5V for Float. The default Temp Comp of -16.2 mV/degC would be ok, but if you change it, don't forget the minus sign.

This stuff isn't set in stone. Often depends on how much of a hurry you're in to charge fully.

1 Like 1 ·