question

Volker avatar image
Volker asked

ESS: short discharge pulses in float

Hello,

during the last days I observed a behavior of the Multiplus-II that I cuold not explain. Maybe someone else can:

- multiplus-II configured as ESS (Venus 2.20 + FW 450)
- battery is in float, 100% SoC
- stable energy surplus => grid feed-in (-500W or so)

Here I see short discharge pulses and (less frequent) charge pulses => see figures below.

Any idea why this is happening?

THanks & kind regards - tullsta

Multiplus-IIESS
1543662178200.png (26.0 KiB)
1543662322069.png (29.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

First thing first, please update the multi to the latest firmware and see if the issue still exists.

Remember you will lose settings, so save them first:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Volker avatar image Volker commented ·

Hey - just upgraded to 453 and will keep an eye on it.

will post as soon as I can conclude on something.

Groeten - tullsta

0 Likes 0 ·
ondra avatar image ondra commented ·

hi, i have the same problem on MultiPlus 48/3000 / 35-50. I have version FW 433, another FW is also updated (CCGX, MPPT...). Version FW 453 for MultiPlus is not. Will there be a new FW version for MultiPlus 48/3000 / 35-50 soon? Thanks Ondra ( apologize for my English, i use google translator :-) ...)

0 Likes 0 ·
Volker avatar image
Volker answered ·

Hello Guy,

thanks for the suggestion. Seems like udating to 453 did make the behavior much smoother and solved the issue.

Thanks & kind regards - tullsta

2 |3000

Volker avatar image
Volker answered ·

Hello,

realized that during the periods where I have permanent energy surplus I again get short discharge pulses on my multiplus-II => see plots below.

I will update the firmware to the latest (currently running 454 and Venus 2.33), but can anyone eventually explain these pulses?

Thanks & groeten - tullsta

capture3.jpg (117.3 KiB)
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered ·

Hello,

unfortunately I have the same issue. I have a stable grid feed in of > 1.000 W and the MultiPlus II is switching between Discharging and Float. Venus OS is on version v2.92~3.

Is this a bug or setting issue? I have enabled ESS with Optimized (with BatteryLife).

venus-os-float-discharging.gif

2 |3000

jaguerre avatar image
jaguerre answered ·

@mr-manuel , did you resolve the issue?! i dont know what else to try.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@jaguerre

This is one of those strange ones where some managed batteries do it and some don't.

So from what I have seen it would seem it depends on the battery. On the one system as an experiment, switching off BMS control (battery bank of sufficient size) we switched to a shunt and the system was stable.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual