question

lber avatar image
lber asked

Camper electricity

Hi there,

I am building up my camper van at the moment and now i am not sure how to solve a problem. I got a Battery which does not include low temperature protection and i want to charge it with a multiplus 12/800, a Orion Tr Smart and Smart MPPT. I thought about getting the ve.bus Smart dongle which includes a temperature sensor. Is it possible to shut down loading on all three devices via the Software or does anyone have a better idea on how to solve this?

If you need further Information tell me please.

Looking forward for answers and thanks in advance for reading the post and thinking about it.

temperaturecampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Multiplus and MPPT can be set not to charge with low temps. The Orion can't.

Any decent battery nowadays should have low temp protection. Best is to get a decent battery, but if you want/need to stick somehow with that one without you can manually add a temperature switch: Just connect a temperature switch to the green link plug (instead of the wire link) so it just disables the Orion completely at low temps.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lber avatar image lber commented ·

Thank you for your answer, that helps a lot :-) And yeah, I need to stick with it for now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andrew Ford avatar image Andrew Ford commented ·

The Orion is very basic. Make sure you're aware of its limitations before getting one. There are a few threads on here about it's lake of smarts.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic