question

macsayso avatar image
macsayso asked

MPPT 150/60

Hello Forum, this is the frst time i post something here, i hope i will do it right.
I have 6 solar panels connected to my 150/60 smartsolar.
When I read the values from it, i see Voltage 129.01 Volt, so that is ok. (max 150)
What value for the max 60 amps should I read, the Currect Solar (11.3 A) or the Current Battery (50.40 A)
Can i connect another 48.7 amp's or only 9.60 Amps? (to the max of 60A)

Thanks for helping me out.

Andre

img-6181.png

img-6182.jpg

smart solar set-up help
img-6181.png (170.8 KiB)
img-6182.jpg (84.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The current rating is for the battery (charger side)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @macsayso Welcome to the Community.

In your pic the mppt is in Absorb state, and may well be throttling back from it's 60A max. So the 50.4A is likely around the most it can produce at that point in time without overcharging the batteries.

That 129V on the panels will get higher too as the charge throttles further, so I'd watch that closely, especially in cold weather.

If what you're actually asking is whether you can add more panels, the answer is probably yes (if done properly). That might help with poor sun, but we'd need a lot more detail on your system specs to be able to suggest anything.

2 |3000

macsayso avatar image
macsayso answered ·

HI JOHN,

I live in Spain so the temp during the day won't get below zero... ever, during the day.
So I'm not concerned about the voltage going too high.
I have 9 solar panels.
Voc = 49.7 V
Icc = 11.5 A
I wanted to do 3 ser with 3 parallel. (3x3)
Getting 149.1 V and 34.5 A
But with 2x3 installed I already have 129 V and 50.4 A,
so I gues I can't connect an extra 3 to get 3x3 ?
The voltage is ok, but the battery Amps would become too high??? (max 60) ?
Somewhere I didn't understand the Amps......

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I live in Spain so the temp during the day won't get below zero... ever, during the day.

Not quite correct List of extreme temperatures in Spain

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@macsayso

That Voc is NOT ok. It's at 25degC, and 3x in a string will be too many. Run your panel specs through this calculator.. https://mppt.victronenergy.com

Try it 2Series, 4parallel (2S4P), so 8 panels max. The calculator may recommend a bigger mppt, but yours will work ok, it will just max out at 60A.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic