question

carrpet avatar image
carrpet asked

VRM - Battery Charge Energy (kWh) & Battery Discharge Energy (kWh) - No Data to Display

Hi there

I have an ESS with Multiplus II, Cerbo GX, Shunt and 4 x PylonTech (5000) Batteries.

in VRM both Battery Charge Energy (kWh) & Battery Discharge Energy (kWh) show No Data to Display. I have selected Charge Energy from the Shunt and Discharge Energy from the Pylontech BMS just to rule our one or the other. Both show No Data

The same issue in Home Assistant for the same data.

I have searched for info on this problem on the forum but haven't found anything

You help would be appreciated !

widget vrm
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carrpet avatar image carrpet commented ·
Just moved from modification section
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I think those metrics only exist if the bms sends them which none seem to do.

There are quite a few available metrics which can’t be charted.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

I will have to find out how to get HA to convert W to kWh. If you have any expertise in this area I am all ears !

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I don't use HA myself, but they have a node for node red, so if you can write to HA from node red, you can manipulate data from victron nodes before sending it onwards.
0 Likes 0 ·
carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Thanks Nick

2 |3000

ronski avatar image
ronski answered ·

What would be the best way to calculate Battery Charge Energy (kWh) & Battery Discharge Energy (kWh), as a daily figure?

I'm using Node Red, you can select these outputs for the Lynx Shunt, but there is no actual values.

Edit:

I already calculate battery watts, so I added a switch node, which directs the flow depending on if the value is positive or negative, this then passes through a function which contains the following if positive.

//Calculate time since last reading taken - usually around 5 seconds

var d=new Date();
var duration = ((d-flow.get("LastTime"))/1000)
flow.set("LastTime",d);

//Calcualte kWh used during the last duration period

var kWh_Day = flow.get("Bat_kWh_Charged"); //Bat_kWh_Charged is reset to 0 at midnight
var BatteryWatts = msg.payload;
var kW5s = BatteryWatts * 0.001 / (3600/duration);

//add it to the daily total

kWh_day = kWh_Day + kW5s;
flow.set("Bat_kWh_Charged",kWh_day);

msg.payload = kWh_Day;
return msg;

The other function is the same, but the context variable is Bat_kWh_Discharged, the two context variables are reset at midnight. Last time is intitiated to the current time if the system is rebooted.

battery-kwh-flow.jpg

2 |3000

benoit3 avatar image
benoit3 answered ·

Hello,

I wrote a python script to be run on the CerboGX to calculate charge and discharge energy in kWh and inject then on the dbus: data are available in VRM.

I testes them with my one battery US5000 bank and get a 97% efficiency.

Script is available here on github

Regards,

Benoit

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic