question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Manual Error

I believe the information stated at the bottom of the screenshot is incorrect and does not apply to the Smart Solar MPPT . (Page 35 ) but i don't have an email address to report it to Victron .

I now use a Smart Solar 150/70 tr MPPT and the option stated to adjust the Multiplier does not apply to it although the manual shows it to be a feature . I previously used an old style Blue Solar MPPT , the larger unit with a small screen and 4 black buttons on the face , on that model the Multiplier could be adjusted as the statement says

screenhunter-174.png

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@AKO you dont adjust the multiplier. The multiplier is based on the battery voltage at mppt startup.

The mppt automatically selects the absorption time based on this.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

" The default settings ( Voltage time Multiplier and Tail current ) can be adjusted within the Victron connect app " . That's wrong , default is 6 hours and although it can be adjusted with the Blue Solar MPPT as the same statement is given in its manual but the same statement is also written in the Smart Solar manual which doesn't have that option .

I adjusted my previous Blue Solar Absorption to give shorter Absorption times to suite my batteries specifications , i did that by setting the Multiplier to 4 hours .

I think its a case of terminology , you could call the base line figure ( 6 ) thats to be multiplied to be multiplier or you could call the different multiplications of the base ( x .66 x .33 x .16 ) the Multipliers , either way the statement in the manual is incorrect , with the Smart Solar MPPT neither of them can be adjusted .

I know the time based on the battery voltage at start up cant be adjusted on either of the MPPT models but the statement made in the Smart Solar Manual referred to the the base figure ( 6 ) as being the Multiplier that could be adjusted as it was referred to on the Blue Solar Manual , it cant .

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@AKO That's wrong , default is 6 hours and although it can be adjusted with the Blue Solar MPPT as the same statement is given in its manual but the same statement is also written in the Smart Solar manual which doesn't have that option .

Enable expert mode > battery settings "user defined" > adjust "Maximum absorption time"

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image
ako answered ·

Thank you Klim8skeptic , i think you are probably right , hopefully you are and its just badly written , i understood the Maximum Absorption Time to mean that whatever the settings , fixed or Adaptive the user can protect their batteries from overcharging by applying a Maximum time to the Absorption , a failsafe , i had set mine to 3 hours . I think it is meant to be another way of saying the Base Time for the adaptive Absorption to be Multiplied can be adjusted . I have now changed that setting on my unit and will see what happens tomorrow as so far my MPPT is going into float much higher than the tail voltage or 100% charge .

2 |3000