question

evgis avatar image

Multiplus noise level

Hello.

I currently have a Mastervolt Chargemaster 12/50-3 which is mounted in a cabinet in the salon of my sailboat. I find it to be extremely noisy and the fan hardly ever shuts off even when floating.

As part of a larger upgrade I would like to switch to a charger/inverter which would eventually interface with new Victron LiFePo4 batteries and a VE. bus BMS. A major concern then is the noise level of the charger/inverter. My first choice would be the Multiplus Compact 12/1600, is anyone able to relate their experience with the noise level of this unit? My main concern is with the fan noise of the charger part, the inverter would be used only intermittently so I can tolerate some noise from that.

Another option could be the new Phoenix Smart charger which I assume is silent with no fans, combined with a Phoenix Compact inverter, but this unit is the same size as the Multiplus Compact so it would only be an option if it's much quieter than the Multiplus.

charger
1 comment
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have limited experience, but my Multiplus 12/800 makes some good noise when 'Bulk' charging and if some 'good' load are connected. Certainly not quiet.

Other than that, small loads and charger on Float or storage is almost silent (no fan noise)

Also depends on ambient temperature.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image

These compact 12/1600 multiplus units are not very noisy at all as there fans are well placed inside the body of the unit.

the Fan is off most of the time except when you are using heavy loads or charging a full power, to help make them quieter you could get a quite fan and place it underneath the unit blowing the air up through it and then I dought the fan would ever come on.

2 comments Share
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

In my experience the 'compact' units make more noise than the 'normal' ones, and the Multiplus II units make the least noise.

Thanks everyone for the answers so far, the conflicting information isn't making it easy for me to choose though! I was ready to go for the Compact 12/1600 before Boekel's comment.. Anyone else personally using the 12/1600 who can comment on the noise level?