question

sdmccart avatar image
sdmccart asked

Multiplus II not charging batteries to Float/absorption setting

Last fall I installed a Multiplus II, BMV-712, and Smart dongle with 4 lion energy 105 AH lithium batteries in a fifth wheel. I do not have solar. This is the first time I have installed this type of equipment, so I am learning. From the time I installed the unit there has been about a .6 volt or 5% difference in the voltage readings between the MP2 and the BMV. The BMV was always lower. It did not matter what I set the absorption rate or float to. If the MP2 was set at 14.4, the BMV would read 13.78 or very close to it. If the MP2 read 13.88, the BMV would be 13.25. I used a pretty good multi meter to check the battery bank, one battery by itself and the cables going into the MP2 and its readings were always the same as the BMV.

Additionally when I would be hooked to 30 or 50 amp shore power there would be a negative current reading on the BMV, -1 to -2.34 amps. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but while hooked to shore power shouldn’t the pass through relay close so the power comes from the shore power and not the batteries?

I unhooked the MP2 and isolated the battery bank. I unhooked the 12volt wire from the bank at the lynx. There was nothing to draw any energy from the batteries. I checked the BMV and there was zero draw which leads me to believe the batteries are fine and the issue is with the MP2.

I sent this unit back the distributor to have it tested. They said it tested within their specs but are making more inquires to Victron. Their tech support does not know why my system is preforming this way.

Does anyone have an idea why this unit is not charging to what it is set to and what the remedy is? Thanks for your help.

img-3641.png

img-3640.png

img-1002.jpg

Multiplus-II
img-3640.png (377.8 KiB)
img-3641.png (320.3 KiB)
img-1002.jpg (3.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Sdmccart the first thing to do would be to measure the battery voltage at the Smart Dongle. If the correct battery voltage is present at the dongle, check out the Trouble Shooting section of the manual.

Re the SmartShunt negative current figure when on shore power. It could be that the multi has switched over to float and a little current is being drained from the battery until the batt voltage settles to the float level.

It could also be that the shunt is not wired correctly. The only thing wired to the battery side of the shunt should be the batteries and smart dongle negative wire. All other negative for all chargers / loads / and chassis ground have to be on the "system" side of the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sdmccart avatar image
sdmccart answered ·

Thanks for the reply. I'll check those items when I get the MP2 back.

2 |3000