question

iainsommerville avatar image
iainsommerville asked

Is the Sevcon motor control driver included in the regular Cerbo Build?

The Victron documentation for motor controllers refers to the Oceanvolt "dbus_motordrive" driver. Is this part of the standard Venus distribution or do we have to make our own build to add that driver?

We are interfacing a Curtis motor-controller and hope to just reprogram that to emulate the Sevcon (which appears to use the standard CanOpen format).

Failing that I assume the best option is to write our own Python driver.

Thanks in advance

driver
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

AFAIK not, because WHY should the VenusOS have a motor driver?

Do you use the Curtis Instruments Controller with a mover for Solarpanels?

I have some of the 24V/40A controller laying around and also some very strong garage door motors. While the direction of my Solarpanels are fixed, I like to adjust the angle automatically depending on the sun and also the wind load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iainsommerville avatar image
iainsommerville answered ·

No - this is for an electric boat. We plan to write a Curtis driver for electric boats (and will make it available for others), not sure how applicable it will be for others as there seems to be a lot of variation in their controllers. Hopefully have something in a month or two.

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Interesting project...

2 |3000

Philipp Trenz avatar image
Philipp Trenz answered ·

Hi @IainSommerville, just stumbled across another thread on the same topic, which includes a link to dbus_motordrive by Oceanvolt. There's a service called `dbus-motordrive` included in the standard VenusOS distribution, although I cannot say if it's actually this one: https://bitbucket.org/oceanvolt/dbus_motordrive/src/master/src/

Maybe this piece of information will help you, anyways.

1 comment
2 |3000

iainsommerville avatar image iainsommerville commented ·
Thanks - I did get a response from Victron stating that it is in the standard build however it no longer works correctly. Unfortunately as it is external to Victron and no longer seems to the maintained it is hard to get it fixed - hopefully will get it working soon!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic