question

jhulcy avatar image
jhulcy asked

New install of Quattro 24/5000/120, (2) Tesla packs - Cannot start rooftop A/C even on shore power

I just recently began a project of installing electronics in my bus.I have a Quattro 24/5000/120 connected to two Tesla model S batteries. Even when I feed Shore power to AC one I cannot seem to start either of the 15,000 BTU rooftop AC units without the Quattro tripping off.

I am a total novice, so it could very well be something super obvious.

jason

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I think you should get a victron dealer to have alook maybe the one you purchased the unit off

I suspect that the tesla battery voltage is two low and thus the unit is turning off because of a low voltage or overcurrent as the voltage drops.

this would be my guess

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhulcy avatar image jhulcy commented ·

Bought it from Amazon. They are not too supportive.

Was hoping it was just some dumb error on my part.

I do think you are right about the battery being low. BMV 712, thinks batt is full so won’t allow charge. Not sure how to fix and don’t have equipment to test battery.

This is pretty much my setup minus the color controller and add BP220 between batt and system.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-system-example-5KW-24V-120V-AC.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is a long and quite exhaustive discussion about this similar thing :

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/5217/tesla-model-s-battery-multiplus-can-not-turn-on-in.html

2 |3000

ben avatar image
ben answered ·

You should be able to run your roof air units with no battery connected to the Quattro. What happens if you try that?

8 comments
2 |3000

Quattro still trips off when compressor tries to start even when batteries totally disconnected. Both A/C units brand new Dometic Brisk air 2. Both units have run off of same shore cord plugged into same 20 amp plug.

0 Likes 0 ·

Could you please take a photo or a short video?

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image jhulcy Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok. Here you go.

0 Likes 0 ·

Please confirm that you have read this community post and all the comments about Tesla batteries so that you understand the implications of running a battery that is not supported and known to not work as expected.

We don't need to repeat them here again.

Compatible batteries are listed here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

Once you have, can you please record the fault. The system appears operational in the photos.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image jhulcy Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Oh, sorry. Though you were asking for pics of the design. You want video of the inverter tripping off?

0 Likes 0 ·

I have read those comments start to finish and am really sad that started down the Tesla trail. Obviously would not have if I had that info 3 weeks ago when I ordered the batteries. I am trying to give this Tesla setup one last chance, then I will dump the batteries in favor of something that is supported. The part that is the real head scratcher for me is that AC won’t work on shore power either.

Video recorded and trying to attach.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ jhulcy commented ·

There's a good chance the AC problems have nothing to do with the batteries, as AC units can be very demanding in start-up loads, even the 'soft start' ones.

But that doesn't change anything about the general design and use of Tesla batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ jhulcy commented ·

So we know this is not a battery thing. It sounds like maybe an issue with the inverter, to me.

What does your ammeter say when you try to start the AC?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

You're stating that you're a total novice, and that get's me worried: how are you protecting the Tesla battery modules? (what bms are you using?)

You also write you use a BP220 between the batteries and 'the system' (the inverter?) The BP is not meant to be used between battery and inverter, and it only works one way (only discharge or only charge can be 'opened'.

I strongly advice you to have your system checked by an experienced person (installer / electrician) to prevent bad things from happening.

6 comments
2 |3000

Would love to have the help of a professional, but have no idea who to ask. That is why I am here.

Know any one in Dallas area? My bus drives great, just none of the fun stuff in the back works.

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm in Europe (Netherlands) so no, sorry.

The thing is: these batteries are not exactly 'plug and play', and when you charge them to high (normal 24V lead-acid voltages) they catch fire...and in a quite spectacular way. So it is -very- important everything is protected properly with a BMS that can disconnect the batteries in case of over / under voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image jhulcy boekel ♦ commented ·

Here is my configuration exactly (less the color control). Bp220 is between pre main fuse and battery.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-system-example-5KW-24V-120V-AC.pdf

May not be right, but now you know what I am working with. If this is not the right spot for the BP220, can you advise?

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image jhulcy boekel ♦ commented ·

Charging parameters on inverter solar charge controller and BMV 712 are all set to 19 V up to 24.5 V.

0 Likes 0 ·

Charging parameters should be set in the Quattro, not in the BMV

I'm sorry I cannot advice as I don't have controll over the system.
You've invested a lot of money in your system, please now invest some time and money to find an expert to make it safe.

BP you can use between loads and battery (after fuse) as it only works one way.

I'm using a breaker between batteries and the rest of the system, this breaker has a trip unit that is controlled by the bms. this will trip if the system charges too high / discharges too low or when there are other errors (cell overvoltage / undervoltage, temperature)

if you have a CANbus BMS, the next step is to get a Venus / Color control to have the BMS communicate with the inverter / chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt jhulcy commented ·

The Power Store in Alvarado. 817-779-7210

They should be able to help.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image
jhulcy answered ·
2 comments
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

I'm no expert (although I do have a system on a bus like yours), but a few things seem unusual to me in this video.

First, do you have a battery connected in this one? It's strange to see the LEDs indicating Absorb but no current moving.

Second, what settings do you have configured on the Inverter tab? The inverter is not on, which I find strange. Do you have it on AES or some kind of search mode?

If so, try turning that off. You should have a green Inverter light on before you connect the air conditioner. See if that changes the behavior.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhulcy avatar image jhulcy ben ♦ commented ·

Current inverter settings

0 Likes 0 ·
image.jpg (2.1 MiB)
image.jpg (2.1 MiB)
image.jpg (2.1 MiB)
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It appears that you might have a battery protect between your battery and inverter.

This is not supported and can lead to the issues you are seeing.

Please read this for more info:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13746/battery-protect-with-lithium.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Ok, so remove it and let the BMV 712 manage the battery.?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic