question

dancrompton avatar image
dancrompton asked

Err-39, Err-87, Dead Lynx Shunt and No Amps from Solar Array

Hopefully someone will be good enough to advise and help me figure out what has happened so I can prevent it from happening again in the future.

I have a typical DC off grid system with a Lynx Shunt, two Lynx Distributors, a Multiplus 48/5000 and two 250/100 Charge Controllers, coupled with Seplos Mason 280AH battery. At the time the system was under external control

At 12:44PM both of my SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 VE.Can charge controllers had a "Err 39 - Input Shutdown (retry)" error. One Charge controller automatically recovered but the other reported an ERR - 86.

I followed the instructions to reset the one charge controller still erroring and all seemed well for couple of minutes until it reported "Err 87 - PV Input shutdown".

At the same time my Lynx Shunt went offline, it was no longer seen by my Cerbo Gx and all power lights on the shunt and both my Distributors went off. I have checked all the fuses and all seem fine, everything is getting power, but it is still dead. One of my solar arrays also seems to be showing no amps after this event (whatever it was) and my battery also showed a cell imbalance error at the same time and it's SOC dropped to 0. The array connected to the errorring charge controller has produced zero amps since that event.

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-134604.png

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-210346.png

screenshot-2023-03-25-at-210448.png

Hopefully someone can help identify what has happened so I can stop it happening again in the future. I've tried to include as much information as I can think of that is relevant, if anything else is required please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance, as I'm at an absolute loss to what could ave triggered this and exactly what I will now need to do to remedy it?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

I just experienced an Error #39 an hour ago. I was cleaning up some wiring mess and accidentally bumped into a circuit breaker that disconnected my battery bank from one of my charge controllers. #39 comes from the MPPT preventing overcharging and it shuts down the PV array(s) attached to it to prevent damage to the batteries.

I had to go through and rematch my charge controller settings and then go through a proper restart: PV - off, MPPT - off...then turn on the CB to the MPPT from the battery bank and let it cycle up and network with the other MPPT. Once that was done then I turned on the PV array and it took about 2 mins to cycle up and network with the other MPPT. Then all was fine. Maybe 3 mins.

It looks as if Error #87 shows the same thing. MPPT preventing overcharging and it shuts down the PV array(s) attached to it to prevent damage to the batteries.

The Error #67 looks as if you have a BMS controlling the MPPT. And the BMS and MPPT lost communication. So the MPPT shut down so as not to overcharge the battery bank.

The low battery alarm appears to validate that the BMS stopped working and your batteries are showing a low SOC...or potentially the BMS lost its settings and the settings now contradict with the MPPT so the MPPT shutdown in order to protect the battery bank from overcharging.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

And one more tidbit...the array that was attached to the MPPT that did the Error #39 also was showing no amps...just volts. Once I went through the restart it came back up with volts AND amps :)

I think you will find something went haywire in the BMS or the communication between the BMS and MPPT.

Also, I think your Lynx Shunt will be just fine once the BMS/MPPT issue is resolved. Why? Because I also have a Lynx Shunt in my system and it came back up with no issues.

Please post what you do and how it turns out...would be interesting to hear.

4 comments
2 |3000

dancrompton avatar image dancrompton commented ·
That's good to know and reassuring. Thanks! With no amps and just volts my first instinct was an open circuit somewhere. I had visions of tomorrow being spent on a barn roof in a gale with a multimeter. Hopefully if I follow the same procedure as you I'll be OK too.

I've just lost all faith in my Seplos BMS though. I was using that to run my system rather than the Lynx Shunt due to the Lynx being inaccurate. I've a Smart Shunt somewhere I may install that while my system is semi down and just use the Lynx Shunt as an expensive fuse holder.

I'll be sure to report back.

1 Like 1 ·
ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble dancrompton commented ·
Yeah, the SmartShunt is a good idea. I was disappointed in the Shunt and using the inverter battery monitor function. I will be reinstalling my BMV-712 as soon as my USB to VE.Direct adapter cable gets here next week.

I think I am going to do more research on how to correctly use the Lynx Shunt...I must be missing something. I will let you know.
FWIW...I spent an hour with the array I thought was down. Each panel had the correct volts and amp...individually. But hooked together there were no amps. Once I did the full reset on the MPPT (150/70) and the Smart Network kicked in...the amps came alive. Really, really weird.

Hang in there brother...hang in there.

1 Like 1 ·
No luck. As soon as I switched the solar array back on it instantly triggered an overvoltage alarm. Err: 39.
0 Likes 0 ·
Yeah, the MPPT is trying to protect the battery from being over charged. The PV voltage coming in from the PVs is probably much higher than your system voltage (i.e. 48v). And the MPPT settings are matching what the BMS and/or batteries themselves are telling the MPPT. So the MPPT doesn't want to destroy your batteries...so it shuts down.

Remember, the MPPT amps is what it is producing, not what it is taking in. Victron MPPTs can shut off, or reduce, amps going into the battery...so it is not letting any amps through.

Are you resetting both MPPTs when you try to start up?

Are they Smart Networked?

0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

It did that 3 times to me.

I am sorry if I didn't mention it, but I also reset both MPPTs on the last time. Killed the incoming PV power, then killed the battery power to them. Then reversed the process to start up the good one first, then the second (one with problem), then turned on the PV power. Before the last start-up effort I let them sit for 1/2 hour. I read that the error had to clear in the MPPTs before they would reengage without error. Also, on the last try I let the first MPPT run for about 5 min before starting up the 2nd MPPT(one with problem). Did your second MPPT ever give a "incompatible device" error?

At first on the last try it showed 0 amps coming in but the correct voltage, the problem MPPT was on. It took several minutes but the amps finally registered and all was good.

But remember, I had to go through and do a reset on all the MPPT battery values in the ssettings, in both MPPTs. I abandoned my "User Defined" and went with a "preset" for LifePO4.

If your BMS is shot, or a cell is bad, it may be sending wrong/bad battery info to the MPPTs. That is the main difference between what happened to you and me. And I can't help you with that one...I just don't know anything about BMS's running MPPTs.

2 |3000

dancrompton avatar image
dancrompton answered ·

I've lost count of how many times I've reset it now. Following the same process. I've tried it both connected to the Cerbo GX and smart network and disconnected acting standalone.

I've also tried resetting it while alternating each string of the array disconnected and no luck. I've also tested the solar panels and they seem perfectly fine, with identical numbers to the array connected to the working charge controller.

I've been through the BMS logs and it seems the cell imbalance occurred after the BMS detected an overcurrent. The erroring MPPT shows the following battery voltage of over 70v both today and yesterday.

screenshot-2023-03-26-at-152011.png

An identical charge controller which is working perfectly fine, connected and configured in exactly the same way shows the following.

screenshot-2023-03-26-at-152218.png

I'm starting to think not only is the charge controller faulty, but this issue was caused by this charge controller either putting out or detecting it was putting out 70v. I think it might be the former as my Lynx Shunt is completely dead.

I think I'm going to need to speak to my distributor and get some advice on how I can get some support and advice from Victron, as there's not a lot else I can do/test. Fortunately I still have one working array/Charge controller and the battery has been operating perfectly since the charge controller that has been experiencing issues has been disconnected.

Fun and games. :)

2 |3000

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Dang, those are some strange readings.

The first shot shows the MPPT doing its job by shutting down the output and that generates your #39 error. But the 70's and 20's voltage readings are weird. Especially since they are not connected to the BMS.

The 2nd shot shows the MPPT doing its job with battery readings that make more sense...except the 45.19v which indicates an almost dead battery reading. The other 3 readings show essentially a fully charged battery.

Unfortunately one of the Error #39 resolution suggestions is a faulty charge controller.

How have you concluded that the shunt is dead?

8 comments
2 |3000

Yes I've come to the same conclusion. The documentation suggests as much after you've taken the advised steps. I just hope Victron's warranty and support lives up to their reputation. I'll keep you posted.

The Lynx Shunt has no lights. No power light on the shunt itself and no lights on the Lynx Distributors. It's also not detected by the Cerbo GX. The last time it was detected was at the exact moment of the incident. I've checked the fuses and they are fine, but that's as far as I've taken the troubleshooting with the shunt to be honest. I've spent all my time so far trying to figure out what's going on with the charge controller. One remaining thing I could test is another RJ45 cable, but other than that I'm not sure what else I can try? That will have to wait for tomorrow now. I'm all tested out for today. :)

1 Like 1 ·

I am completely out of ideas. Sounds like a power surge but I wonder why a fuse didn't catch it. But maybe it was just volts that surged and not amps since that is what the MPPT lost track of.

Your set-up is more complicated than anything I've dealt with so I am now at a loss as to what to think or suggest. Yeah, time for the distributor to step up and lend you a hand.

As for the warranty...I've had two issues over two years. Victron was amazing it how they handled it. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Sorry that you are having to deal with all of this...I know how frustrating it can be. You try your best and still get slapped in the face. Hang in there brother!

1 Like 1 ·

I've just found this. Seems to explain my situation almost exactly. I'm going to need to take my system completely offline to install my SmartShunt at some point this week anyway so may as well give it a go.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/mppt_pv_short_relay_reset

"For the SmartSolar VE.Can MPPT 250/100 with a serial number between HQ2150 and HQ2250, the reset procedure – unfortunately – often does not work. In this case, contact your dealer for replacing the MPPT under warranty."

Mine is HQ2139. There's hope!

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ dancrompton commented ·
@Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) Any thoughts that might help the OP?
1 Like 1 ·
I sure help that works for you!

Good job on researching that out.

1 Like 1 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton ahtrimble commented ·

No luck. I should have read the description properly.

"Note that the feature only shows when (a) the connected units features the protection, ie. 250/100 VE.Can model, HQ2150 and later;"

Looks like it's going back. Thanks for the all the help @AHTrimble.

1 Like 1 ·
I don't feel I was much help with your situation.

So what exactly is the solution?

1 Like 1 ·
dancrompton avatar image dancrompton ahtrimble commented ·
Mate you were more help than anyone who works for Victron. :)
0 Likes 0 ·