question

davenz avatar image
davenz asked

Victron Connect - Staying connected!

why can’t Victron Connect maintain its connection to a device? e.g. a battery monitor.

I want ro keep an hours long record of the Trend view, to monitor Volts and Amps, while testing a new alternator regulator. As soon as I look at another app, or resize a window in iPadOS stage manager, Victron Connect loses its connection.

Anytime I switch Apps, it has to ‘reconnect’. This seems different to every other Bluetooth app. ‘Frustrating!!’.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

Data logging for hours, days or months is not something you want to do via Bluetooth. The Victron Connect app is simply missing a background function.

Use a Cerbo device and retrieve the data via Modbus TCP. Then you can process it in e.g. Homeassistant and store it indefinitely.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

The phones OSes (in your case Apple iOS) are all about making battery life long.

Meaning: stop apps from doing too much unless user is using them.

There are solutions; most likely, but most are not easy. Maybe some day we can work on this; would be nice.

Until then; get a GX device, or even a raspberrypi with Venus OS installed. And use VRM.

Or for finer grained data (one reading every one or two seconds) look into our grafana docker solution. (See google)

But that requires some software skills. Not being a developer, but still.

2 |3000

davenz avatar image
davenz answered ·

Agree with that, but I can’t even monitor for say 30 minutes, without dedicating the iphone to the one app for that time.

2 |3000

davenz avatar image
davenz answered ·

I’m sure I could spend the evening searching but to get me started is there a ‘how to’ for getting Raspberry Pi/Venus/VRM going? (I have System s/w skills, but no experience with Raspberry Pi’s)

Many thanks.

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

And the grafana thing I referred to is here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

Includes a video iirc

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Davenz

All the Pi questions are handled in the modifications space. So moving this there. But be aware there's no official support.

There is a guide. Google brings up many links.

Maybe start here: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2017/09/06/raspberry-pi-running-victrons-venus-firmware/

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources