question

Luit Jan avatar image
Luit Jan asked

Soft starter for 1,5 kW Pump

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with installing a soft starter between a Quattro / Multiplus and a 1-2 kW pump? I tried 2 solutions but both systems destroyed my 230V network.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good working soft start solution?

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

How big is your inverter? Even with a soft starter, a motor will draw significantly more during startup than what it draws once it's running. You may be exceeding the inverter's peak output capability. This is evidenced by a voltage sag on the output and may be sufficient to shut down the inverter with an overcurrent or low battery voltage alarm.

I'm using a soft starter on my RV air conditioner and allows a 2000 VA Multi Compact to start it. It's a MicroAir EasyStart but probably not appropriate for your application. It does hook into the compressor motor rather than just in-line between your grid and the AC input for the motor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Luit Jan avatar image
Luit Jan answered ·

Hi Kevin, I’m using the Quattro 5000. So big enough to run the motor. Problem is the start ….

2 |3000