question

gexle avatar image
gexle asked

RpiDisplaySetup V2.93

Hello Kevin

I did a Venus OS update today and the touch on the display didn't work anymore.
Can it be that RpiDisplaySetup doesn't work with V2.93?

Thanks

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

22 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·
which ts_calibrate

will tell you the path to the utility

You can't run ts_calibarte from the command line while the GUI is running but you can manually disable it then run from the command line

touch /etc/venus/headless
reboot
ts_calibrate
reboot
rm /etc/venus/headless

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem answered ·

Works fine here on v2.93.

You might check the logs. All RpiDisplaySetup info is logged to /data/log/SetupHelper

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello ok

Just wanted to install Rpi Display Setup (Venus OS V2.92) again, now this message comes up.Got a 10 inch display.

I'm back to the V2.92

unbenannt.jpg

Which log do you need? Can you please take a look why I can't get it installed?

unbenannt.jpg (36.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
V2.92 and v2.93 are both supported.

This error usually occurs if something has modified one of the files RpiDisplaySetup needs to update. In this case that would be start-gui.sh. If the install script can't match the stock file to one of the versions in a file set for the package, you get this error.

If you are running any other scripts at startup that modify start-gui.sh then this needs to be disabled and you need to reinstall the firmware (use on-line update, not stored backup).

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Ok I'll upload the start-gui.sh for you then you can take a look at it... maybe we'll find the error..Thanks

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Kevin

Unfortunately I still have the old installation on it ...
Can't I remove that?
I executed the setup points.

Modify config.txt
Add Venus Configurables for Backlight and Display Blanking
Install Module and PackagesCREATE BACKHLIGHTCTL.SH script (optional)
Calibrate touchscreen
Victron /opt/victronenergy/gui/start-gui.sh modification

I know this is not your guimod but can I help me to get rid of it and use your setup?
I had already installed this before I found your Guimods!

victronvenussupport/venus_rpi_enablement.md at master · aaronsb/victronvenussupport · GitHub

https://github.com/kolargol/raspberry-minimal-kernel/raw/master/bins/4.1.8/overlays/rpi-ft5406-overlay.dtb

Or can I still install RPIDisplaysetup over it if we find the error or the problem in start.gui.sh so that it can be installed?

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

The mods you have done include a change to /opt/victronenergy/gui/start-gui.sh which will cause RpiDisplaySetup to fail with incompatible file set.

Those mods are essentially what RpiDisplaySetup does and the two may conflict with each other, so you should choose one or the other and not try to use both.

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin

Yes, I would like to use your Guimods -> all my Guimods that I have installed are from you, I just want to keep them!
Here is the start.gui.sh

What do I have to do to be able to install your RPIDisplaySetup.

Thanks

start-gui.zip

start-gui.zip (1.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

It needs to be character-by-character identical to the stock one in the Venus OS.

As I said, the easiest way to insure the files match the Victron stock configuration is to do a firmware update. But before you do that, delete /data/rc.local or /data/rcS.local. Then run

/data/SetupHelper/setup install auto

That will create a /data/rcS.local that will reinstall my packages.

Go to Stored firmware and boot to the version that is not running. After the system reboots, go to the Online updates and install the current version. (If you need to go to a previous version, use the USB/SD firmware update instead.)

At this point all my packages should reinstall including RpiDisplaySetup.

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin
You mean I should update to the V2.93 or what?

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

That would certainly cause the stock files to be refreshed. v2.93 is the latest so if you switched to the backed up firmware then used the on-line update you'd get v2.93. Other versions would require updating via USB/SD removable media.
0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello
So then do you mean install everything from new?

So from the beginning?

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin

I'm reinstalling everything...on version V2.93 -> so everything new
Installed Setup Helper first and then RPI Display Setup..

Then I made the settings via the console -> also (R)

This is my Display -> https://www.sunfounder.com/products/10inch-touchscreen-for-raspberrypi

I then made the choice R...-> Raspberry PI Display

It works so far -> but there is no calibration prompt or message where you can see the crosses on the display.

Does this prompt to calibrate only appear when the display is plugged in USB usw.??

Have I forgotten anything else?

Thanks

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello

Is there a custom command to calibrate the display?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

RpiDisplaySetup provides two different options to calibrate the touch surface:

Entering C at the main prompt will run the calibration without changing other settings. After selecting this, the GX device should reboot.

After setting up the display, RpiDisplaySetup always asks if you would like to calibrate the touch surface. If you answer yes to this query then after the setup is complete, the GX device will reboot.

After the reboot in either of these cases, the touch calibration screen will display. After touching the 5 calibration points, the GX device will reboot again. After that, the GUI will reappear.

Before the calibration can run, ts_calibrate must be download from the internet and installed. If it is not, RpiDisplaySetup will prompt you to install it. If it can't download and install, calibration will be skipped.

This should all be described in the ReadMe file.

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin

Thanks yes the ts_calibrate was installed.

Where can I see if ts_calibrate was also installed?

Where can I find that??

Thanks

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

I don't know, I think I'm too stupid.

Now I've done thattouch /etc/venus/headlessreboot -> Rpi restarts -> reconnect via SSH

Then I enter the command ts_calibrate

Then comes error

display.jpg

display.jpg (21.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

I have no idea. Might try reinstalling the ts_calibrate package
0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Sometimes different that only works if a touch display is connected??

Ts calibrate is or was installed with...

At the moment I'm only testing it on a normal 7 inch display

under usr/bin/ there is the file ts_calibrate

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Kevin why is it not found if it is available if everything is installed??

display.jpg

display.jpg (21.6 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

I do not know.
0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image gexle Kevin Windrem commented ·

could you test it?your script?Question must first turn the touch display and then install everything?

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image gexle gexle commented ·

The Venus OS V2.93 has been completely reinstalled!

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

The whole RPI4 is made new with Venus OS V2.93 and then I installed
RPIDisplaSetup using the Setuphelper
When installing on Venus OS, it says that I have to install RpiDisplaySetup in the console.
I did that with these commands

wget -qO - https://github.com/kwindrem/RpiDisplaySetup/archive/current.tar.gz | tar -xzf - -C /data

rm -rf /data/RpiDisplaySetup
mv /data/RpiDisplaySetup-current /data/RpiDisplaySetup
/data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup

I was asked if I wanted to install ts_calibrate, I did that, maybe not everything was installed from the script or does a touch display really have to be plugged in first and then everything installed??

The Venus OS V2.93 has been completely reinstalled!

Look here when updating the packages, write something like that in

I mean these commands.

https://obenschlaefer.com/low-budget-energiemonitor-victron-venus-os-mit-raspberry-pi-obenschlaefer/

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Please Kevin

1 comment
2 |3000

I just tried RpiDisplaySetup's setup script and it works fine here (RPI4 v2.93 and v3.00~25).

If you are doing the commands for the display configuration from the above link, you are duplicating what RpiDisplaySetup is doing and there might be conflicts. If you are using the setup from that link do not use RpiDisplaySetup. If you want to use RpiDisplaySetup start with a fresh SD card flash and do NOT do the display configuration from the above link.

The comment about needing to RUN RpiDisplaySetup from the command line simply means

/data/RpiDisplaySetup/setup

What you are doing is reinstalling RpiDisplaySetup from the internet which is not necessary but should not cause any issues.

RpiDisplaySetup's setup script will not run unless SetupHelper is already installed, but it sounds like you have done that.

You must be connected to the internet in order for RpiDisplaySetup to download the ts_calibrate package. You should be seeing error messages of that is the case.

You should NOT be answering "y" to the prompts to add custom blanking and dimming. If you do need to customize these you'd need to fill in the exact path name to the blanking file starting with /sys etc. The defaults often work but if they do not then you'll need to dig into your system and figure out what the proper path is. Looking in /sys/graphics then probably sys/graphics/fb0 might head you in the right direction but I can't advise further since every system and display will be different.

0 Likes 0 ·
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin

Thanks very much

So I do the following again new installe V2.93display1.jpg

display2.jpg

display3.jpg

There is no query to calibrate

display-5.jpg

I have to say that the 10.1 inch touch display is not yet plugged in.
Have always tried it with a normal 7 inch display!
It should be delivered these days though!
Does a touch display have to be connected so that the calibration can be carried out so that the points can be queried? When the touch is plugged in, something will install and it will be recognized as a touch display.

display1.jpg (35.5 KiB)
display2.jpg (122.1 KiB)
display3.jpg (178.6 KiB)
display-5.jpg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Sorry Kevin for always bothering you.
I'll test it again with the touch if it's there.

Should be delivered the days!

Thanks very much

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin
One more question!
What is the difference between selecting RPI Display and HDMI Display?
The Sunfounder is an RPI display, isn't it?

Don't see the difference!

SunFounder 10,1 IPS LCD Touch Screen Display Monitor HDMI 1280*800 für Raspberry Pi 4B 3B + 3B 2B lattePanda Beagle Knochen|Demo-Board Zubehör| - AliExpress

Thanks

5 comments
2 |3000

The RPI display uses the DSI interface not HDMI. The display you reference appears to be HDMI.
1 Like 1 ·
mange avatar image mange Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hey kevin

Hope you can help me

having the same problem and have followed the directives here but it won't find the way to ts calibrate. but I find it when I search with which ts_calibrate

rpidisplaysetup could not be installed from the package manager. could do it from the command line. and I chose hdmi. rotation works. I don't really know how to proceed?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mange commented ·
Not sure what your issue is. RpiDisplaySetup MUSt be run from the command line. It won't work from PackageManager due to the dialog that is required to set options. Once configured, PackageManager WILL reinstall it, but not the first time.

I think you say that my setup script could not find ts_calibrate. That's probably true the first time you run the script because it is not installed by default. The script does offer a download and install if it is not found. So what part of this is not working?

A screen shot of your interaction with the setup script would be helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·
mange avatar image mange Kevin Windrem commented ·

2023-05-11-1.png

2023-05-11-2.png

2023-05-11-6.png

it's a new installation. i got the venus on the hdmi screen, rotation worked,

but calibration did not start. or nothing happend

0 Likes 0 ·
2023-05-11-1.png (89.0 KiB)
mange avatar image mange mange commented ·

2023-05-12.png

config.txt

0 Likes 0 ·
2023-05-12.png (164.0 KiB)
gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Can it be that I don't get a calibration display?
Because I always installed Rpi Display instead of HDMI?

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello

The whole thing works with the Sunfounder 10.1 and the HMI selection installation.

Thank you Kevin

1 comment
2 |3000

mange avatar image mange commented ·

How did you do? Did you select HDMI in the setup and it works then

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.