question

miami337 avatar image
miami337 asked

Victron Quattro - disable "passthrough" functionality?

I'm in planning phase for my boat power, I've arrived in the US with a European boat and I'm working on mitigating the 50/60hz issues. So I'm planning to install a quattro 230v 5k 24v inverter/charger (then later I'll tackle getting some 110v power out of it with an autotransformer maybe). My question is - when connected to shore power (230v 60hz here in the US), can I completely disable any shore power passthrough and purely use the shore power to charge my batteries with the charger side of the quattro? This way I won't push damaging 60hz to my otherwise 50hz devices onboard?

frequency
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The converter in the Quattro is just that. There is not a separate charger and a separate inverter. The converter either acts as a charger with shore energy being passed through with the bypass relay closed or as an inverter with the bypass relay open.

You'd need a separate charger to charge from the 60Hz shore source whilst the Quattro inverts at 50Hz.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic