question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

Correct sequence power up/ power down of 2x Multis in Parallel

For solar controllers, I usually connect the battery first in power on and disconnect last, after PV in power off.

I recently assembled a setup with 2x Multiplus in parallel and wonder if there is a similar advised sequence in case I need to switch off for maintenance or change to standalone. My main concern is the output. Since its difficult to switch ON exactly at same time, one of the Multiplus will see voltage on the output prior to normal boot up.

I have bipolar MCBs both on input and output!

My Multis are almost all the time inverting, but for this maintenance and power off / power on, my instinct to minimize possibility of faults would be, for example:

1- Switch the parallel setup from inverting to GRID (I have them connected to Venus and AUX is used for this)

2-Switch OFF the slave. At this moment I suppose they will both turn OFF (never tried yet), if not, switch the Master OFF too.

3 - Switch OFF both bipolar MCBs on output of the units (they are shunted on the load side)

- Perform the operations I need with MK3 -

To Power ON, I simply do as instructed on the VE software, each multi will boot up and since the input MCB is never disconnected, they will synchronize the waveform with the grid.

Then, I can safely turn ON the output MCBs again.

Is there something I am missing? Is this correct or am I over-worried about it?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

I just flick both switches at the same time... but have to admit most of my systems are 3 phase and not parallel...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Elimac avatar image Elimac commented ·

Thanks Boekel. I will try to do the same on 1 phase parallel, I take it that is not that sensitive.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Turn master on first and then slave best to do within 5 sec of each other

most of my installs are Parallel and I have no problems doing it this way.

2 |3000