question

ffion avatar image
ffion asked

MP100/20 connection - do I need to use the load output ?

Hi all, am sure I am missing the obvious here but as I am a first timer to this I thought I would ask the community.

I have an MPPT 100/20 with a PV input, battery output and a load output. I also have a Victron B to B charger. Both units are connected through positive and negative busbars which then link through a battery protector to the fuse board for loads. I was planning to just connect the MPPT battery output to the positive and negative busbars. Is there a reason for also connecting the load output from the MPPT and if so where do I connect that to (there seems little value in also connecting this to the busbars where the battery output is connected). Should I connect my positive from my BMV to the MPPT load rather than to the leisure battery positive terminal ?

I have included a circuit diagram to help clarify the question.

many thanks in anticipation

MPPT 100_20.pdf

MPPT Controllers
mppt-100-20.pdf (70.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

You would use the load ports for any loads you wish to power with the MPPT and have some additional control over them. These ports can be turned on and off for various reasons and to protect the battery from over-discharge. They are always at battery voltage, and are current-limited. They can't be used for something like the input to an inverter.

Your BMV should be connected to the battery per the installation instructions.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Diagram is ok, but a couple of points.

Load output connection is doing nothing and should be discarded. Generally leave it disconnected unless there's a specific use.

If the BMV you're going to use can monitor the van battery (e.g. BMV 712), you can add that connection, fused at the van battery.

You might find it easier to install multiple fuse boxes local to their loads. Will save wire, time, but at the cost of slightly more time spent if a fuse goes. I ended up with 4 in my van. Size the wires appropriately and fuse the feeds to the fuse boxes.

2 |3000

mark-a avatar image
mark-a answered ·

A practical example: I use the load output of my MPPT to power the anchor light of my boat. Using the Streetlight function of the MPPT controller it is turned on shortly before sunset and off about half an hour after sunrise. The MPPT uses the voltage of the solar panels to detect sunrise and sunset. I set them to 12.95 V for sunset, as that turned out to be a good match, and 13.45 V for sunrise as that value must be 0.5 V higher than the sunset threshold. The light is then turned off with a 30 minutes delay.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
This does risk the anchor light not working all night if your battery is undercharged.
0 Likes 0 ·
ffion avatar image
ffion answered ·

Thanks both, very helpful

2 |3000