question

tom saffell avatar image
tom saffell asked

Multiplus 12/2000 naming convention - how to know which one I'm buying?

The Inverter/charger page shows two products that are named Multiplus and rated 2000VA / 12V:

1679377575888.png

They look different, so I assume that they are actually two different products. AFAICT, neither is the "Multiplus II". The one on the left may have the word "Compact" shown in some places but not others (despite being larger in two dimensions than the one on the right). Questions:

1) What are the official product names for these, and how is one supposed to refer to these, and reference them so that they are sure they are buying the right one?

2) What are the differences? I compared the spec sheets, and see minor differences (one on left is Aluminium, lighter, 1% lower efficiency but high peak power). But it all seems pretty minor. Why would Victron have two such similar products?

3) Is Victron still making both?

4) Any recommendations one way or the other?

thanks

Multiplus-II
1679377575888.png (622.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I assume this is an official page from the victronenergy.com web site. If you follow the links from the pictures, you'll see exactly what you're getting. The datasheet downloads from the detailed pages are probably clearest.

Best is to be specific when ordering.

I've reported this for you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi!

Thanks for your interest!

For official naming, best place to check is the pricelist.

I am aware that there are some very similar names; we’re working to fix that going forward.

2 comments
2 |3000

tom saffell avatar image tom saffell commented ·
Thanks. Where would I find the price list? Any thoughts on question #2 (the key differences) and #3 (whether both are still being made)
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ tom saffell commented ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/information/pricelist

If it's on the price list it's still in production. But there may be delivery delays due to world wide component shortages.

Key differences I think what you're seeing is the Multiplus/Multiplus II differences.

Pe rformance is pretty much the same, aluminium cases on the older models which were kept in production because of the aluminium cases. The Multiplus II have more modern internals, quieter cooling fans. Often different dimensions, which need to be considered.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

From another post, below some of the key differences between above shown and newer MP II models. The picture on the far right is the compact model I think, not even to mention there was a multigrid too.

• Uses a new external casing now made from steel, not aluminium.
  • Uses a new and more modern circuit deposition technique, smaller chips with fewer integrated circuit components required. Less silicon overall.
  • Uses a single larger toroidal transformer, rather than two smaller ones (peak surge power rating is decreased slightly, but efficiency is increased)
  • Is physically smaller (due the reasons above) increasing units per container (and reducing shipping and warehousing costs).

There are some markets where the additional features of MultiPlus-II make it the necessary choice, such as the double acting AC input anti-islanding relays.

2 |3000