question

kkesp avatar image
kkesp asked

Smartsolar MPPT 150/100 spec sheet

I have a Smart Solar MPPT 150/100 and was going to add another panel to my array for a total of 1680 watts (4x420) someone pointed out that the controller is only rated for 1450 watts, but my panels (LG Neon R) have a Voc of 48 and on the Controllers data sheet it lists Nominal PV power for 48v at 5800 watts is that correct?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/software/VE-MPPT-Calc-4_0.xlsm

In this Excel you can add the spec's of your PV panels and then you can see if it fits your needs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kkesp avatar image
kkesp answered ·

I already have a charge controller I only want to know if the listings on the data sheet for the MPPT 150/100 for Nominal PV power is a reference to the panel voltage.

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @kkesp - Nominal PV power at 48VNom is in reference to the nominal voltage of the battery bank being charged, not the PV voltage.
That said, Victron supports over-paneling (in total array wattage, not array voltage) by up to 20% to account for off-season sun and less-than-ideal solar conditions, so you're fine in terms of wattage. You may not be capturing all of your potential solar harvest in peak months of the year, but so long as you're staying well under the unit's 150V PV input limit and its PV input current limit you'll be fine!

2 |3000