question

mustardgorilla avatar image
mustardgorilla asked

MPPT drop-outs every 10 minutes

mppt.pngMPPTs: 2x Bluesolar VE.Can 250/70

I've had my solar system for a week now and have noticed this strange behaviour on one of my MPPTs.

The drops occur metronomically every 10 minutes. There are no overhead blockages. Does anyone have an idea what's going on?
Thanks

MPPT Controllers
mppt.png (36.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

This exactly how each and every Victron MPPT charge controller work. They will stress the solar panels every 10 minutes, while trying to pick a better maximum point on the panel's production curve. 7 out of 10 times, production is slightly better following the dropout. This only happens while bulk charging, when there is indeed need for additional input power.

On the screenshot you posted, it looks like only one of your controllers is doing it, probably because the other has detected solar is still ramping up and it doesn't make sense to try. I bet the other one will start stressing the PVs later on.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ana avatar image
ana answered ·

I have the same problem here. However, I can't quite believe that this is supposed to be "normal". Please look at the following curves. If the behavior is to be normal, then such failures must always be seen with all MPPTs. But aren't they...

image.png

image-0.png

image-1.png

image-2.png

image.png (47.9 KiB)
image-0.png (55.3 KiB)
image-1.png (50.1 KiB)
image-2.png (55.3 KiB)
2 |3000

astrayan avatar image
astrayan answered ·

My 3 MPPTs (100/50) all do mpp re-scans every 10 minutes, but the power loss is perhaps 10%, during the scanning phase. I have recently set them all to bluetooth VE network, so they are more coordinated. This, or the new firmware has made them more stable. I used to have instability in very cloudy weather, when the power was around 36W or lower. I don't understand why your 100A device is only doing 10-20 in the middle of the day. It's possible that 3 devices may cause instability, when they work against each other.

2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

I have 5 x SmarSolar 100/20 MPPTs and I was getting a random one dropping out for up to 30+minutes at a time. I gave up asking for solutions and just built a nodered workflow that turns them off and on again after more than 2 minutes of dropout. Not your issue though I don't thing. As has been stated, yours looks like the controller searching for the MPP.

2 |3000