question

groot59 avatar image
groot59 asked

MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 Split Phase - Overload

Have dual Multiplus 24/3000/70-50 set up in Split Phase 120/240 primarily to run AC Compressor during peak power cost hours.

Normal Running Load is 6-9 amps, in-rush/start-up peak is 28-35 amp using a MicroAir EasyStart Soft Start. Have 2 x 300 AHr 24V batteries and all cabling is well within Victron recommendations.

I cannot consistently start the AC without hitting overload. I've watched the tutorial on Multiplus/Quattro overloads. The only thing that makes sense is that the inverters are not reaching output voltage within the 30 cycles, but don't think that should be an issue with this configuration.

Any help on how to make this work or issolate the root cause would be appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groot59 avatar image groot59 commented ·
Have not had any success in resolving this issue.... Still seeking input!

The best I could do is set the input current limit to min value (seems like it is 8A on this model) and use the power assist. This allows the inverter to pick up loads higher than 8A. I can start the AC reliably in this configuration, but still costs me 8Ax240V=1.9kW during peak hours, the system was purchased to bring this to "0".

I have mitigated this slightly by setting Multiplus Charger voltages to float (i.e. stop charging) at 80% battery SOC, so hopefully my 2kW solar system can maintain charge above 80% during the peak hours of 16:00 to 19:00 during the summer.

I am also buying a cheap $600 Chinese 5kW low frequency split phase inverter with 15kW peak to see if it will do what these very costly 2x$1400 Victrons can't do.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
downgrader avatar image
downgrader answered ·

I have a similar setup/issue. 24/3000 (single phase only) and my A/C (a heat pump rv system that isn't supposed to need a soft start although has an inrush current of about 42A). Every time the compressor kicks on I get an overload warning. I read on here somewhere that it's okay to have overload as long as you know the reason but there's also a weird "burp" from the inverter/charger for a second at inrush. The manual says it's supposed to be able to handle 6000W peak for a few seconds which I suppose it's doing as it doesn't shut down (just gives a warning). I'm considering adding a second PMP 24/3k in parallel to address the issue.

I have 4 x 206ah LiFePos in a 412ah 24v configuration.

Oh, I just read that you have dual 24/3ks. Wow, not sure why you would still have this issue. Interested to see the replies.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.